Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

u26055

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Deigo, CA
I've been looking at making the switch to Mac for a while now, but I can't seam to find an answer to this question: can you play Windows games on an a Mac Pro?

I'm not a gamer, per-say, but I like to play BF2 and other "shooter" games. If I make the switch will I be able to? It sounds like bootcamp is the any why & that is fine, if it will work.

I've read through other postings & there doesn't seam to be a definitive answer. And I'm not sure if this question can be answered, since it so new, but will DX10 games run? I don't care about frame rates, I just want it to look good and not crash.

Thanks.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Hi there,

You can run games on the MP in Windows XP -no DX10- through boot-camp, no problems at all. You'll get decent enough frame rates, but as it's Windows it may well still crash like any other Windows box ;)

Please be aware that the Mac Pro is a fabulous machine, but it isn't specifically designed for gaming- so your friends who buy generic PCs may get better gaming performance if they get a highly-specced up machine.

Enjoy!

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
DX10 games will not run because the Mac Pro doesn't have a DX10 capable card. Some people have gotten windows only DX10 cards able to work but the last time I checked (months ago) you couldn't have that card with your normal Mac card in the box at the same time. So every reboot between windows and osx you had to physically switch cards.

I'm pretty sure the next update the Mac Pro will have a nice DX10 capable card.....when that update comes is anyone's guess. Many people have been holding their breath for 6 months now :D

u26055

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Deigo, CA
DX10 games will not run because the Mac Pro doesn't have a DX10 capable card. Some people have gotten windows only DX10 cards able to work but the last time I checked (months ago) you couldn't have that card with your normal Mac card in the box at the same time. So every reboot between windows and osx you had to physically switch cards.

I'm pretty sure the next update the Mac Pro will have a nice DX10 capable card.....when that update comes is anyone's guess. Many people have been holding their breath for 6 months now :D

I've been trying holding off after reading various threads about this, but I'm close to getting a new Windblow box, because I can't justify the prices & I'm having issue with my current box.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I've been trying holding off after reading various threads about this, but I'm close to getting a new Windblow box, because I can't justify the prices & I'm having issue with my current box.

I agree. As a strictly gaming machine I can upgrade the main components of my pc (cpu, ram, motherboard, video card) for less than $900 and get a kick ass machine. It might be the more reasonable solution, but I've been holding off because I would rather just have one computer where I can run osx and windows. I'll wait until leopard and hopefully the new Mac Pros to decide which route I'm taking.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
I use a Mac Pro for gaming. Recent stuff includes BioShock, Supreme Commander, Oblivion etc.. all of which have run fine.

At the time of purchase I had a old PPC Mini and a old desktop, both needed upgrading. The choice was either to buy both an iMac (for OS X) and a standard PC (for games) or a Mac Pro.

Since the Mac Pro was not vastly more expensive than getting both a iMac and a PC and has the obvious benefit that you get a quad cord machine into the deal which improves both the iMac and PC experience, it seemed like the best option.

This was ordered about 2 days after the original release, now I'd be tempted to wait for a faster video card and upgraded processors before taking the plunge.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Want to Game?

Buy a 360.

Yeah, I agree. I'm going to buy a Mac Pro for design. It was a toss up between it or a macbook pro. I felt that the portability wasn't something I'd get the benefit of over the power trade off. I really like games as well but have a 360 for that. I imagine I'll use the Mac Pro for some "PC only" type games like RTSs and RPGs. Otherwise I'd not bother with games on it. Even If I can get the best card with the new Pro I have a feeling that within a year it'll be left behind with nothing to replace it with from Apple.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Want to Game?

Buy a 360.

No thanks. If we want to game on a Mac Pro we'll do just that. Feel free to limit yourself to a 360. I'm sure in between the red light of death, freezes and scratched discs you can get a game or two in :D

I own one of these horrible products so I'm ranting from experience!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.