Switching: Scanner Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Mar 25, 2008.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I just switched from a PC with Windows XP to a Mac Pro at work (been a Mac guy for a long time at home). I had an Acer 620U scanner hooked up to the PC using Photoshop. Seems that Acer never made a driver for the scanner to work with OS X. Does anyone know if there is a workaround for this (other than logging into Windows, which I do not want to do) or do I just need to get a new scanner?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Take a look at Vuescan - the Acer 620U is on the supported list. You can try the free trial to see if it works OK

3. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your Benq/Acer 620U scanner is supported by the opensource SANE Project.

5. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Man, I love these forums...

6. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Okay, now that I've read that site I realize I have no idea how to do anything like that. Anyone care to give me step-by-step directions?

7. IgnatiusTheKing thread starter macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I found this site, which had packages available for download and some simple instructions. First, I installed the "libusb.pkg", then the "sane-backends.pkg", then the "TWAIN-SANE-Interface.pkg".

There is now a "SANE" item in the File > Import menu, which opens a dialog box with scan options. It's actually better than the old PC dialog I had before, and the images come out just as great as ever. Very happy with it.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Attached Files:

8. macbody macrumors newbie

thanks

This topic almost saved my life :)
    I am saying almost because it seems that I need to get the driver and I don't have the CD, and then do some configuring of the snapscan.conf file :/
    so if anyone has the u96v057.bin driver that woudl be cool. OR a better way, coz then I need to launch a PERlscript etc...

Thanks

[edit] found the driver, not this version but works fine. I had to edit the snapscan.conf file at the top. with the path to the driver and the usb option.