Switching SIM cards between 5s and 6 plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by B.A.T, Apr 21, 2017.

1. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to use the same SIM card between two phones (both from T-mobile). I want to use the 5s when I run in the hills so my wife can track me and I can use it if an emergency should happen. Is it as simple as installing the sim in the 5s and I'm good to go?

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

There is link between sim card and phone Imei number, not so simple, unless someone can find a way.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes. It is that simple. Go ahead.
    Not sure which carrier you may be thinking about, but it really is as simple on T-Mobile as OP asks.

I've shuffled my own T-Mob SIMs around between an iPad an iPhone 6s+ and an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 is supposed to have been bound to Sprint's SIM card but turns out that can be broken.

4. B.A.T thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's great news thank you. Co-worker is giving me his old 5s next week so it will be great to be able to use it as needed.

5. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

When I upgraded from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6,all I did was to move the sim from old phone to new,but then both phones where locked to the same operator.

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

@eyoungren post is on point. I switch SIM cards between my SE, 6s Plus and 7 regularly with no issues on T-Mobile. It really is as simple as popping out our SIM in device A and inserting it in device B.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Make sure it's either (a) unlocked or (b) a T-Mobile device that has been paid off. Otherwise you WILL have issues.

I assumed in your question that we were speaking of a device already in your possession that was either unlocked or a T-Mobile device.

8. B.A.T thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's unlocked so it should be good to go