Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
Is it possible to use the same SIM card between two phones (both from T-mobile). I want to use the 5s when I run in the hills so my wife can track me and I can use it if an emergency should happen. Is it as simple as installing the sim in the 5s and I'm good to go?

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
There is link between sim card and phone Imei number, not so simple, unless someone can find a way.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is it possible to use the same SIM card between two phones (both from T-mobile). I want to use the 5s when I run in the hills so my wife can track me and I can use it if an emergency should happen. Is it as simple as installing the sim in the 5s and I'm good to go?
Yes. It is that simple. Go ahead.
There is link between sim card and phone Imei number, not so simple, unless someone can find a way.
Not sure which carrier you may be thinking about, but it really is as simple on T-Mobile as OP asks.

I've shuffled my own T-Mob SIMs around between an iPad an iPhone 6s+ and an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 is supposed to have been bound to Sprint's SIM card but turns out that can be broken.

Reactions: nburwell

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
That's great news thank you. Co-worker is giving me his old 5s next week so it will be great to be able to use it as needed.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
When I upgraded from iPhone 5 to iPhone 6,all I did was to move the sim from old phone to new,but then both phones where locked to the same operator.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
@eyoungren post is on point. I switch SIM cards between my SE, 6s Plus and 7 regularly with no issues on T-Mobile. It really is as simple as popping out our SIM in device A and inserting it in device B.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's great news thank you. Co-worker is giving me his old 5s next week so it will be great to be able to use it as needed.
Make sure it's either (a) unlocked or (b) a T-Mobile device that has been paid off. Otherwise you WILL have issues.

I assumed in your question that we were speaking of a device already in your possession that was either unlocked or a T-Mobile device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.