Switching Spaces is NOT Smooth

AxelFoley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
I am using a MacBook Air 2019 with macOS Catalina installed. My question is related to SPACES.
When I have a few spaces created with at least an app in each then switching between spaces by selecting the app from the dock is not smooth. The transformation animation stutters. I understand that it has to do with availability of RAM (8GB on this MacBook Air) while several apps are open (MS OFFICE apps, Safari, iMessages) and also not having a better graphics card/adapter.
But here is when things are smooth. If I switch spaces by using a three finger swipe on the trackpad then the animation is silky smooth from one space to another. The stuttering occurs only when I select an app from the dock and move to its space.
So, why is it smooth when I use the trackpad and why is it not when I use the dock? Furthermore, is there a setting from the Terminal that I can change to make the transition/animation from the dock as smooth as when I do a three finger swipe form the trackpad?

Axel F.

jparker402

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
I do not know the answer. But I also have no idea what you mean by "spaces" and switching them. I am a novice and would like to know is why I ask.

AxelFoley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
I do not know the answer. But I also have no idea what you mean by "spaces" and switching them. I am a novice and would like to know is why I ask.
Spaces are separate desktops created on the same MacBook screen and have different apps running in each space. Makes things easier to manage when one is working with several apps/documents.
More information in this link/article Using Space in MacOS . Thanks for your response.

Axel F.

Reactions: jparker402

auxbuss

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
UK
Spaces works fine here, no stuttering. MBA 8/128. I usually have four or five full screen, with the "home" space used for small and random apps.

I think the animation is different because you have to pull the space about 1/3 of the way across the screen before it switches, whereas clicking the dock is immediate.

Reactions: AxelFoley

AxelFoley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Spaces works fine here, no stuttering. MBA 8/128. I usually have four or five full screen, with the "home" space used for small and random apps.

I think the animation is different because you have to pull the space about 1/3 of the way across the screen before it switches, whereas clicking the dock is immediate.
Yes I agree and thought the same that when you pull on trackpad then it preloads before you finish the motion. So, in your case, choosing directly from dock does not produce any stutter while the spaces change?

Axel F.

jparker402

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
Spaces are separate desktops created on the same MacBook screen and have different apps running in each space. Makes things easier to manage when one is working with several apps/documents.
More information in this link/article Using Space in MacOS . Thanks for your response.

Axel F.
Thank you! Most informative! And I discovered several articles on YouTube discussing spaces. One question I have is if dividing up work into individual spaces would reduce the memory drain of having a number of apps open on the same space?

AxelFoley

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Thank you! Most informative! And I discovered several articles on YouTube discussing spaces. One question I have is if dividing up work into individual spaces would reduce the memory drain of having a number of apps open on the same space?
The opposite is true that I found. Have one space open with the same number of apps will consume slightly less RAM space than having apps opened in multiple spaces. The difference is that in the former you do not have to switch spaces and in the latter you do.

Axel F.

auxbuss

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2014
UK
So, in your case, choosing directly from dock does not produce any stutter while the spaces change?
Nope, it's quick and stutter-free.

btw, it might be worth further testing by using the keyboard commands: ^1, ^2, etc. and ^←, ^→