Switching to a MBP what do I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrisgardner, Jun 24, 2007.

1. chrisgardner macrumors newbie

OK, I am a missionary and live in Peru SA. I am purchasing the laptop and my brother is bringing it down here for me. This will be the first Mac I have owned. I am going to get the 15 inch 2.4 with 4 gigs of ram. I have some questions that I need answered though and thought you guys could help me. I have to purchase the accesories at the same time because there is no way to buy mac stuff down here. Here are a few questions

1. Do the speakers have decent levels? I don't listen to stuff at crazy levels, but I love to be able to hear what I am listening to. Many windows laptops have no volume at all. I am currently using an HP and am very happy with the volume level. If the level is very low, which speakers do you recomend?

2. I would like to run Windows also now but from what I understand I have 3 options of what to run, I am not interested in Boot Camp but would like to know if there are 2 other options which one I should go with.

3. What accesories should I get with the machine? I have seen people that have keyboard covers etc. Any suggestions?

4. Should I get the Glossy screen or the normal one? I don't have the luxury of checking them out. I edit video and audio a lot.

5. Should I get Apple Care?

Any help with this stuff would be great, I have to know what to do within the next week at least. thanks ahead of time for the input.

Chris

2. chrisgardner thread starter macrumors newbie

Also

Also, is the Mighty Mouse worth getting? I remember Leo Laporte on TWIT complaining about it years ago when it first came out are there any issues still there or is worth purchasing? thanks

Chris

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If they're anything like the speakers in my PowerBook, they'll probably be fine (and chances are, they've improved the speakers in the MBPs over the PBs)

Your other two options are Parallels or VMWare's Fusion. They're effectively the same thing, but Fusion currently only costs $40 because it's still in beta.

Unless you really need the accessories, you'll probably be just fine without them. I have a Marware Protection thingy for when I close the lid, but one of those is hardly necessary.

Sadly, this is purely a matter of preference, but my understanding is that glossy has better color reproduction...but my understanding could be wrong. Someone want to correct me?

For a laptop? Yes.

As for the Mighty Mouse, my BTMM has worked really well so far, but many people have problems with their MMs....so take that for what you will.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The glossy gives more saturated colors. People in print or photography avoid the glossy screens because they're not as color accurate as the matte screens (although even those need to be calibrated, of course). For regular use, I prefer the glossy (and I use an external display when I'm doing print work), but like epochblue said, it's really a matter of personal preference. I'm not sure what implications glossy versus matte has on video work...

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The MBP speakers should be just fine, they're not the dinky little things in my MB. For windows, Parallels or Fusion, I'd go with fusion. For protection, probably just a sleeve, but you could go extreme and get one of those hard shells that protect the computer like armor. Get a glossy display, although a preference, I prefer them because of the richer colors and such, and also, they have a shred more usability in sunlight. Lastly, AppleCare is highly recommended. Hope I helped.

6. chrisgardner thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow

This has to be one of the best forums I have ever been on, fast responses. Thanks for all of your input. I will definitely get the glossy screen, apple care, no speakers.

I was thinking of getting a FW 800 external drive for capturing videos, on PC's I have had issues trying to use an external Hard Drive while capturing video, I would like to get the 200 gig hard drive but if I will have the same issues, then I might just go with the faster internal one. Any input on that?

I also was wondering if I would have any problems hooking up to my current wireless system in my house or if I should buy an Airport Extreme? I love the ability to back up to an external hard drive connected to it. Do I understand that I could hook up a printer to it as well and an extra printer on all of the airport express base? This mac stuff is really exciting me.

All the prices seem to be about the same, does this mean that I might as well buy the MBP at the Apple Store?

I plan on buying Office for the mac, does it come with outlook or are the programs that come on the machine good enough?

Any ideas on where to get software for a good price?

I know that this is a lot of questions, sorry about that, you guys are great.

Chris

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I've had a LaCie Triple Interface 250GB for the past year and a half, and it has purred like a kitten the entire time. I'd highly recommend one.

You should have zero problems connecting the MBP to the existing wireless network. As for the networked printer, I can't answer that, but someone else probably can.

The cost in the store will likely be the same as the cost online (unless tax is different).

The Mac version of Outlook is called Entourage and definitely comes with the Mac version of Office. In the past, I've had issues with Mail.app connecting to Exchange servers, but if you only plan to use it for POP/IMAP, Apple's Mail.app will be more than enough.

You could always check Amazon for software or PriceGrabber, but my guess is that most of the time, the software will always cost the same.

8. chrisgardner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I think that answers most of my questions. I appreciate all the feedback, I definitely didn't expect to have an answer so soon.

Chris

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Would he be able to get support on a North America purchase via Apple Care in South America?

For that matter, what sort of Apple presense is there in Peru? Can he get it fixed locally? Would he need to send it back to the States?

Cheers,

10. chrisgardner thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Care

There is no apple care in Peru, I would be stuck sending the computer back to the states to get it fixed. That is the beauty of living in a 3rd world country. It is the same with the other machines that I have here.

Chris

11. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Still invest in applecare. Probably the most reliable service in this case and they pay the shipping, not to mention you will get tech support over the phone and online, which when living someplace like you are, with a very little apple presence around, would probably be very useful for you incase you have tech problems (which I never have, but... you know, take an umbrella with you and it won't rain)

Enjoy your investment! You won't regret it.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think a bag would be a good idea. You should also get a sleeve. An extra battery might also help because of your situation.

Go with matte. I've had both a matte and glossy screen (although the glossy was not an Apple glossy), and the matte is much better.

Yes. Your notebook is going to be in a remote place where it might be placed under more strain. Being able to ship it back to Apple is a huge advantage should the notebook ever have any problems.

13. chrisgardner thread starter macrumors newbie

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Tell us how it goes, and be sure to post anymore questions. Goodluck!