Switching to a new MBP, Snow Leopard question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Freewayjim, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

OK, here's the scenario and I'd like any insight anyone would care to offer on this.

I currently have a 15" uMBP that I just updated to Snow Leopard over the weekend. I am thinking about getting a 17" uMPB either from a retail outlet or the Apple refurb store (if I can find the configuration I want) and giving the 15" to my wife.

My question is, anything new I get now will have a drop-in disk for Snow Leopard, how would I go about setting up a new machine via Migration assistant? should I upgrade the NEW MBP to Snow Leopard first or will it not matter?

Also, I'm assuming Migration assistant is the best way to move my programs and settings over, or would Time Machine be a better alternative?

I'm kind of lost here, what would you do in this scenario?

Thanks for your help.

2. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

I think the migration utility might do the best job. Use a firewire cable going from one machine to the other, which will save you the added expense and hassle of using a ext hdd (or a Time Machine). Plus, it should be much faster than using either method.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I'll toss one in for the time machine method. I've had problems in the past (I haven't done it recently, so this opinion is a bit dated) with migration assistant and found that a time machine restore tends to be cleaner.

4. brendu macrumors 68020

i also would say, assuming you have an external HDD, to install your time machine backup onto the 17"... if you have SL on the 15" already, then may want to install that on the 17 before transferring the data over.

5. Freewayjim thread starter macrumors regular

Freewayjim

That's kind of what I was thinking, I do have time machine on an external drive so basically set up the 17" with Snow Leopard then do the switch.

I have no experience with Time Machine other than backing it up, does it do a good job of keeping all your settings and software in order? can you just jump right in once it's restored of is there more work to do after that?

Thanks to everyone for their insights.

6. docbdi macrumors newbie

Migration Assistant or TM Restore

I also just bought a new Macbook pro and want to know the best way to set my NEW Macbook up and Restore everything from my old white Macbook-migation assistant connecting both computers or restoring from Time Machine. It seems the Forum conversations are mixed with no clear answer or direction. Anyone with a strong feeling either way?

7. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

IMHO - Time Machine will clone your current system onto the new system so use it if your new machine is running the same OS and the old machine. Migration Assistant will move over programs and user data (but not OS files) from your old machine to your new machine. Use Migration Assistant if your new machine is running a newer OS than your old machine and you don't trust the OS upgrade process.

Me? Personally I trust the OS upgrade process more than the possibility of incomplete program/user data being copied over with Migration Assistant but I do find that either of the methods is head and shoulders above what other OSes offer for moving to a new machine.

8. Freewayjim thread starter macrumors regular

Freewayjim

What if your old machine has the newer OS?

9. caonimadebi macrumors regular

Migration assistant is your best bet. If you currently have a Time Machine backup of your SL install from the 15", you should simply clean install SL on the 17" from the drop in disk, and plug in the time machine drive and use migration assistant to migrate the old files to the new computer. You can either migrate at the first start up (one that sets you up) or launch migration assistant at a later time to transfer. Alternatively, you can clean install SL on 17", use firewire cable to connect the 15" and 17", and use migration assistant again to migrate the files and settings.

Do not use time machine restore to "restore" your 17" (in general, ONLY restore on the same computer where the backup was made). The two machines have different hardware components, and you'll likely run into problems with a restore.

10. Freewayjim thread starter macrumors regular

Freewayjim