Switching to a new PC, what's Apple's official solution for moving sync data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kramerica2, Oct 27, 2011.

1. kramerica2 macrumors regular

I'm asking this on behalf of a coworker that's using a PC. I'm a mac user, and the process is easier.

His iphone is synced with his current PC. His music, movies, apps, etc.. are all on the iTunes library on that PC, and his iPhone's app data is synced with that PC.
    Now he bought a new PC. In order to keep everything, I copied the "my music\itunes" folder to the new PC (after installing iTunes) and then imported that into the new iTunes. Up to this point everything has been smooth and worked great. I also remembered to authorize his account with that computer.
    I then connected the device, right clicked and chose "transfer purchases", hoping this would move the app data as well. Apparently, it doesn't. I've also managed to backup (right click->backup) without any problem.
    The problem is when I want to start syncing with the new PC. Although it has the exact same apps, music, videos, etc.. it wants to erase the entire device and copy the apps all over again, thus erasing all the apps' data. That is unacceptable.

1. Is there any "official Apple way" to do that transfer easier and safer? Copying a folder and then importing doesn't feel like the Apple way to do stuff. Is there any way to contact Apple support via chat or e-mail, not the phone?

2. Apple aside, is there any way to switch computers (and keep syncing) without losing the apps' data?

Thanks a lot for any comment.

BTW, I know there are a lot of topics on the subject, but I couldn't find any good solution.

2. kramerica2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but that doesn't really solves the problem.
    I have no problem with music, videos and the apps themselves..

The problem is how to keep the apps' data while syncing with the new PC.

3. M87 macrumors 65816

Copy the iTunes library from the old computer to the new one and backup the iPhone to the new computer. Then restore and resync everything.

4. nmork macrumors regular

The reason it's not working is because your iPhone thinks the new computer's library is different from the old one's -- and it's right.

To fix it you need to copy the iTunes Library.itl file from the old computer to the new computer, and delete the one that exists on the new computer. It should load up the library with play counts, etc. IN ADDITION TO all the apps, videos, music files. From there you should be able to sync as you always have.