Switching to a PC

Discussion in 'iPad' started by roycemac, Dec 23, 2011.

1. roycemac macrumors member

Hi to all!
    I am a PC user...but my wife is completely MAC!
    I am getting her the Ipad 2 for XMAS and so will (happily) inherit her Ipad.
    For business reasons, I need to function in WIN due to software. I hope to intall the latest 'Docs to Go' on the Ipad so I can deal with my Excel Sheets, PDF's & Word Docs.
    I am having a hard time finding info on how I switch her Ipad over to my Win operating system. Do I have to completely wipe the Ipad?
    I am running Win7 32 Bit.
    Any help here is greatly appreciated.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you have an iTunes account and an iTunes library already in Windows, or not at all at this point? Do you want to use your wife's iTunes account (e.g. so you can have all her apps and purchased content), or your own?

If you're using your own, you're probably essentially best off syncing it back so everything's on her Mac and then wiping it.

If you want to use hers, you could just continue (wifi?) syncing it with her iTunes, or you could make a copy of her iTunes library on your PC and then sync it with your PC. It's possible to basically copy over the iTunes library, depending on how technically savvy you are. (I wrote a guide on it ages ago).

3. roycemac thread starter macrumors member

I think it best to completely wipe the ipad and start fresh. She has way too much Crap (apps) for my very simple tastes and needs. I tend to lean toward a lean business work environment (ok, maybe Angry Birds & larry the talking Bird) but not much else. This will be a business tool....pictures and Docs to Go is really all I'll need for now.

I currently do NOT have Itunes on my PC nor an itunes account.
    I am familiar with Apple Software (yes, I am computer savvy) as I have been troubleshooting her Mac & Itouch for a couple of years. I have also retrieved all music back off her ipod on (2) occasions with 3rd party software after unfortunate events.

I have no need for her music library.

Your help & guidance is really appreciated!

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

you can wipe the ipad if you want. it doesn't matter. but, i would strongly recommend using her itunes account. it's best to keep it all together that way in case there is some app (like a document reader) that you both want to use. instead of paying for it twice, you can both use the app. you don't need her library or any of that stuff. all you need is to plug in the ipad and login using her name. deselect any apps you don't want, and you are good to go.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

6. roycemac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all!
    After she switches over to the Ipad 2, I will wipe the older one and plug it into my PC (I already dowloaded ITunes).
    I will take the advice here and use her existing Itunes account so we can share apps.

Looking forward to playing with my new toy!

On another note, is there an app yet to allow the ipad to print to any printer on our home wifi network?

7. tmagman macrumors 6502

Not yet as far as I know... you're going to need an airprint compatible printer (check out Apple's site for a list of compatible ones- Lots of choices now from Canon, HP, etc.)

8. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

Download AirPrint activator and that will allow printing from and computer that is on your wireless network. There are a few caveats but they are explained on the website.

Billy

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not an app but ^ this. There's a recent thread on getting it to work with IOS 5 devices.

10. roycemac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again! Got my new toy up and running...very happy.
    I will download AirPrint activator tomorrow and see if I can get it working. I did read the thread on the updated files to use with iOS5 devices.

I bought DocsToGo Premium...but not so happy.
    It doesn't show all the excel sheets in any given workbook, and it doesn't show excel Comments...at least mine doesn't . I must be able to view excel sheets as they were created...any advice?