Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Whatever you do, don't for the love of all things holy get anything less than 8GB. The amount of RAM is crucial to a comfortable usage. I have 4GB on my bones stock rMBP and notoriously get a large swap file slowing the system down.

Depends on what you do with your computer. I have 4GB and don't swap a lot and my memory pressure is always green.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm considering switching from the 13" rMBP, but only when the rMBA comes out. No way would I drop the rMBP for the current MBA.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2014
No issues with size of my rMBP 13", in fact I want a 15" version for home. Cant see myself giving up the extra ports, can't see myself having the rumored single port on the new 12" macbook.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Apple need to sort out the poor display on the Air, as it simply kills the Notebook, given the difference in display, size and performance the 13" Retina is far superior. the Air only has one thing going for it being relatively cheap for a Mac...

Q-6

powersteer

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2015
I love the air .. love the battery life etc of ones I had in the past. I was given a 13" rmbp for xmas but I think I want an air instead. I mainly will use it for web .. email .. my online business and spreadsheets etc. Would the base model 13" air be fine or should i go with an 8gb version. The rmbp I have is i5, 8gb, 256. Haven't opened it yet.

went from a 15" cMBP to a 13" MBA with 8GB ram, i haven't detected any steps backwards at all

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
I went from a 15" rMBP with flawless screen (perfect colors, no IR, no yellow tint, etc) to 13" rMBP because I wanted something more portable, but I ended up with one that had IR issue, returned it for another, ended up doing this 3 times because each of them had the same IR issue, gave up, went for 13" MBA.

If I could go back, I would have kept my 15" rMBP.

The screen on MBA is not THAT bad, but it could be better, 1440x900 is manageable but when you start doing stuff like coding, large file image editing, etc, then it feels limited, unless you have an external monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.