Switching to Apple and the iMac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DaxFaxian, Apr 10, 2007.

  1. DaxFaxian macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #1
    All,

    I'm (or will soon be) an Apple convert from PC and will be getting an iMac. My conundrum is as follows: wait for the new release and hope to get an older iMac (20-inch with an upgrade to 2GB) on sale or, get the new fancy shmancy 20--inch (or its replacement) for the regular price. What do you more experienced guys think?

    Cheers.

    Dax.
     
  2. pubb macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    #2
    For all you know, Apple is discontinuing the iMac tomorrow, leaving you the choice of the mini or the mac pro. Bottom line is: if you need it now, buy it now. If you don't need it now, wait. But the landscape may be very different tomorrow. For better or worse.

    Assuming they are not discontinued, the new iMacs could be very different than what they are now - or it could be like last week's MacPro refresh: no changes made whatsoever to the base models, but a new high end option.

    Pubb
     
  3. DaxFaxian thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #3
    I don't need it "pronto", but I am without computer at the moment. If there is a chance of getting the iMac cheaper in a few months or getting a better one I may wait. Are the changes in the new iMac supposed to be significant?
     
  4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

    Dimwhit

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2007
    #4
    Dax, if you don't need it now, wait. Can't hurt anything. I'm still working on a 5-year-old machine, waiting to buy a 24" iMac, but I don't want to buy it now. If I don't see anything new by the time WWDC is over in June, then I'll buy. But I'm expecting an upgrade of some sort to the iMac line by then.

    At that point, you'll have the luxury of either buying the new one, or saving a little and buying the outgoing model (which is never a bad idea). But at least you'll have a good choice then and can judge if the new machine is worth it.

    Personally, my main reason in waiting is to hopefully save a few bucks. I want 2GB RAM, and I'm hoping that Apple starts including that on the 24" out of the box, similar to what the did with the MBP recently.
     
  5. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2006
    Location:
    Brisbane, Australia
    #5
    I second Pubb.

    There is also the leopard issue. Are you interested in it? Do you have the money to buy it when it's released?
     

Share This Page