Switching to AT&T, best "older" iPhone for iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidg4781, Jun 2, 2013.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I'm switching from Sprint to AT&T in a few weeks. I wanted to wait until the next iPhone but I'm fed up already with Sprint's service and the rest on my family plan are wanting to switch also.

They're planning on going with Galaxy S4s but I'm staying with iOS. I have a 3G hanging around that I guess I could use but would rather be able to use iCloud.

Would I really be missing out that much? I know the phone is painfully slow but it's here and free. I'm guessing just get a 3GS, should be a little over $100.

Anyway, any thoughts?

And any suggestions on keeping my phone number? For some reason I like having a Sprint number with Sprint and an AT&T number with AT&T. Just feels more complete.

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I have a WiFi only 3GS with iOS6.1. It backs up to and uses iCloud just fine and there is minimal lag whenever I use it. Works just fine.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Sorry, what do you mean by WiFi only? Do you mean you're not paying for cellular data? I'm not really worried about that part since I think we're getting 10GB/month plan. Hopefully that'll be enough. Right now Sprint's data is absolutely unusable where we live.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Sorry to not be clear. I mean, it has no cellular connection.

I got this 3GS as a Christmas gift from my sister a year and a half ago. At the time I still had my old Touch Pro as my main phone, but my contract had been up for 1 year and a half. My next phone was to be (and now is) the iPhone 5 so I took getting the 3GS as an opportunity to familiarize myself with iOS. But, the 3GS can only work on AT&T and we (my wife and I) are on Sprint. As it was not my primary phone getting it activated was not going to happen. So, I use it on WiFi only. For a while I had Talkatone on it which allowed me to use it as a phone using Google Voice. But I still have to be on WiFi as it it not activated with AT&T.

So, no, I am not paying for cellular service (voice or data) but it's not activated. Just using WiFi only on it.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ahh, I get it.

I think I'll look for a 3GS unless I can maybe find a 4 for around the same price. Honestly, I think I'd rather have a 16GB 3GS than an 8GB 4.

6. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

If tou stick with the 3G, besides missing out on iCloud, you'll also be missing out on most apps, since any app updates by a developer now only support iOS 4.3 or later. The iPhone 3G only supports up to 4.2.1.