Switching to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elisamal428, Sep 26, 2014.

1. elisamal428 macrumors member

Hey all -

Well since I have joined here y'all have proven invaluable with your advice and opinions!

I am currently on T-Mobile and using the iPhone 6+. I love how T-Mobile is introducing more competition into the industry but the service is still lacking for me.

I live in Houston and as long as I stay in the metro area my signal is fine for the most part. But as soon as I leave Houston my iPhone becomes essentially useless. I drive across the country a few times a year and it's a real pain.

Also, I get very very low signal when I am inside most buildings, especially my work building. I can't use Wi-Fi at work so the Wi-Fi calling isn't very useful to me.

I have been thinking about going to AT&T but am wondering if I will notice much of an improvement. I know I may have to pay a little more, but after researching their plans it doesn't seem I will be paying THAT much more, and if the signal is improved I think it will be worth it to me.

I am just wondering if I should expect better signal indoors with AT&T and better signal when I am outside of the metro area when I travel.

Thanks!

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3. elisamal428 thread starter macrumors member

I looked into Cricket and when I go to sign up it asks for my IMEI number. I type it in and it says my device, an iPhone 6+, is only compatible with their 3G network...

4. E3BK macrumors 68030

E3BK

I just switched fro AT&T to TMO but I totally get this problem esp if you drive outside of city limits often. When I was on AT&T, cell reception was good indoors for the most part but not always, better than TMO's indoor cell reception though if WiFi calling is something you can't use.

I would try AT&T's pre paid plan first to see if their coverage works for you.

5. Nexus4144 macrumors member

I just recently switched from AT&T to T-Mobile after spending close to 10 years with AT&T. One thing I can say, you WILL have better service not only inside of buildings but also outside of the major metro areas as well. I routinely drive between Vegas and the Bay Area and got used to streaming music (one of the reasons I decided to switch :p) and with T-Mobile I don't even have a bar of cell service let alone LTE. I have only been with T-Mobile for about two month and have already decided that I am switching back as soon as my ETF credits at T-Mobile run out!

6. elisamal428 thread starter macrumors member

Were you able to stream music the whole way on AT&T between Vegas and Bay Area? That's pretty impressive.

7. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

AT&T Headquarters are in Dalles so I'd wager you'd have very good service in Texas.

8. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I think the 6 Plus is too new for Cricket to properly recognize the IMEI. For my other iPhones, it knows what size SIM card I need right away whereas for the 6 Plus, it made me choose between mini, micro and nano. I'm getting my SIM next week and I'll report here how it works. :)

9. Nexus4144 macrumors member

I was! It made the 9 hour drive just a tad bit more livable!

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

In my personal experience, where I live in south Texas AT&T has the best coverage out of all the carriers. I was with AT&T for years and then switched to Sprint for about a year; their coverage was abysmal, and even where I had a "good" connection it was slow and suffered from high latency.

I switched from them to Verizon after the Verizon reps told me that I would get good coverage out where I lived...wrong! It was so bad that as I was talking to a Verizon rep the call disconnected several times; he promised me a cellular repeater and said he would call me the next day to arrange delivery. I called back the next night after hearing from them, and another rep told me that they would never be providing service out at my house and that they recommended I find another carrier.

I switched back to AT&T that night and never looked back again. I have honestly not had a bad experience with them since, so I am comfortable recommending them.

11. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Just received my Cricket SIM and tried it on the 6+. I can confirm LTE works (albeit capped at 8 Mbps). I get around 25 Mbps from AT&T in the same location. Extremely hassle-free setup unlike H2O wireless. Even visual voicemail works perfectly. :)

12. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

That's smart. Definitely do that.

13. Big Dawg 23 macrumors regular

I just recently flew into Houston and drove to Dallas via Killeen. My signal on ATT iPhone 5 was great along with speed. I flew into Bush International and drove all over Houston surveying hotels and never had an issue. It was far better than VZW. I would definitely make the switch. I travel all over country and have wonderful coverage with ATT.