Switching to ATT and iPhone. Need Help.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TimJim, Dec 18, 2007.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Ok so sometime in January (hopefully after a hardware update) I'm going to get an iPhone and switch to ATT from Verizon. I want to keep my number but i know that you have to activate it through iTunes.

So my question is
    1. Is is even possible to keep my old number that i had from verizon?
    2. If it is possible, they will probably have to do it in an ATT store, will they do it for me?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Yes you can keep your number.
    2. Moving your number to a different carrier (porting) is usually done in the cell stores, but with iPhone, it's done through the iTunes interface. The normal waiting time for porting a number will apply, but you should be able to use your phone before that happens.

3. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

So once my contract with verizon runs out my number will be available on the iTunes Activation Porting Numbers page?

4. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

When you are ready to move/activate your iphone one of the questions i think it asks is whether or not you are wanting to port your number. If you do, then it'll ask you for the number and an acct number or something similar. I don't have an iphone so I haven't done this myself, just what I remember reading...

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

there's a video on apple's site that shows the entire activation process - watch that. there's also a ton of other information there and on at&t's site that will give you the most reliable information...

6. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I switched over from verizon after buying my iPhone. Everything is done through the iTunes interface, inlcuding porting a number. There is no need to even step foot into an ATT store.