Switching to ATT for 32gb 3GS Applecare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DAM-Photography, Jun 15, 2009.

1. DAM-Photography macrumors member

So I'm switching to ATT to get the iPhone. Would you recommend buying the apple care? I know its only $70 more but is it worth it in your opinion?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I wouldn't be in a hurry. You have a year to decide.

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I prefer to have it for the lifetime of the phone, regardless of the factory warranty.

You simply get better service through Apple, should you have any issues whatsoever. $35 per year for a heavily used, $300 (in your case) device is worth it to me.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Its a tossup.

First you have to ask yourself if you will use your phone for the full two years of if you will experience massive gearlust come summer 2010. But you can have the AppleCare plan prorated if you decide to get rid of it or something otherwise happens to your phone.

Then see if you have a credit card that offers the same protection. This was my initial plan, and I still may go with it, but looking at the terms it seems that I can extend the warranty up to an additional year, but on my dime (unlike those lame AMEX customers :D)

Finally you'll have to figure out how essential your phone is to your workflow. If you desperately rely on it for work, or its your main line, go with AppleCare. The CC warranty works as a great alternative, but I've found you'll have to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed. Its alot easier to deal with Apple if your product has AppleCare, and generally they don't repair the phone in the store, it'll get sent back to texas or their main return depo, and you'll get a refurbished model within a day. This includes anything that goes wrong with the accessories included in the box. (which looks just as good as the new ones).

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I would get it. But not until the end of the year. Put a reminder in your calendar. You might break it or lose it or something before the year is over, then you will wish you'd waited.

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

They can also work together. If you get AppleCare, Amex (or other CC) will still add another year warranty onto it.

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

Applecare runs $70. You have free phone support for 90 days. If you need phone support after that you can either pay for it or add the Applecare. If you don't need Applecare, before your year runs out, you can add it. In a year, you might want to get a different phone, and you can apply that $70 to the early upgrade.

So, it makes sense to wait and decide if you plan to keep the phone for two years or need the phone support after 90 days.

8. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Look into a squaretrade warranty. It covers accidental damage which applecare does not.

9. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

thats not true..

within your first year...applecare does absolutely nothing for you, but waste your money. In your first year, apples factory warranty covers anything that applecare will cover.
    after your first year, you can purchase applecare for 2 more years of coverage. (although they really dont cover much)

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

With the iPhone, AppleCare only adds 1 year. It's different from AppleCare on computers, which adds 2 years.

11. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Well...that's not true. :)

Yes you get a one year warranty, but the "complimentary care" is exclusive to AppleCare, which ends after only 90 days without it.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/applecareiphone.html

I've personally gotten better service whenever I've had AppleCare vs just being a generic customer, be it on the phone or in-store.

As I say, it's just my recommendation based on experience. It may or may not be worth it you.