Switching to ATT for iphone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shoebobs, Apr 30, 2009.

1. shoebobs macrumors regular

I have a couple of questions

1) I am currently on a Verizon family plan and will switch to ATT once the new iPhone comes out. I want to keep my number and not break the contract with Verizon (the rest of my family wants to stay on Verizon).
    Is it possible to just leave my line on the Verizon family plan for the remainder of that contract (only costs $9.99/month for the extra line) and transfer my number to ATT, while not incurring any fees? Does anyone have experience with a similar situation?

2) A friend of mine is going to give me his old Blackberry when I switch to ATT. I would like to switch between using the iPhone and the Blackberry. I will mainly use the Blackberry if I am going out and don't want to worry about the iPhone getting stolen/lost/damaged. How hard is it to switch between phones? Can I just take the SIM out of the iPhone and put it in the Blackberry when I want to use it? Does ATT charge any fees for this?

Thanks

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

1) i dont know about your number, but most likely when the contract ends you can transfer your number with no problems

2) buy an iphone with the iphone plan. you can use the data on your iphone and on your blackberry. if you buy a blackberry plan you'll have to contact ATT and tell them you have a plan and will be switching to an iphone to blackberry from time to time. so that they wont change your plan to the more expensive iphone plan. well either way since you want an iphone, you gotta buy the iphone plan to get the iphone for a good price

3. shoebobs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. In terms of the first question, when I get the iPhone, there will still be about 4 months left on the Verizon family plan, so I am wondering if I can transfer my number and let my family remain on that family plan. Then, when the Verizon contract expires they will get a new plan w/o a line for me. But I guess you may be saying that I may have to just have a different number on ATT for the first 4 months and then transfer the number when the Verizon plan ends, which is an option

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

FYI, cost should be the same for an iPhone or a blackberry.

5. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Gee, why buy an iphone if your not going to leave the house with it. Just use your home computer for the internet.

6. shoebobs thread starter macrumors regular

Going out as in to the bars on the weekend. So for the majority of the time, I will have it with me and using it quite a bit. And I'm not talking about worrying about losing it cause of getting trashed or anything. I don't do that so spare the comments. There's just certain places I would rather use the Blackberry. So I was wondering what is involved in switching between the two

7. Rusalka macrumors regular

Rusalka

This seems like a pretty smart idea considering all the "My friend spilled beer on my iPhone :'(" threads here, I'd imagine Blackberries are slightly more durable

8. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

you can't switch your number unless you cancel your contract. I've already asked this question to AT&T when I was switching over. You might be able to switch your number after that contract ends (with verizon) but i'm not sure how that would work. You're better off talking to verizon and at&t about that.

yes you can switch from phone to phone. I had an iphone with T-mobile and i'd switch the sim card to my blackberry and the internet still worked.

9. JoeCo0611 macrumors member

I had the same situation you had, sans the 4 months left on the family contract.

I went to get the iphone 3G the day after it came out. This was three weeks after our Verizon was renewed. Verizon (possibly being dickheads) wouldn't let me switch numbers without incurring early termination fees.

I have heard of stories of people paying out the rest of the contract if it were to be up in a short amount of time, so maybe they'll let you buy out the rest of your line's part of the contract.

If not, it's not that big of a deal switching numbers. You being on a family plan suggests your like me and are at or around college age. It's not that hard using facebook/myspace and email to get the word out of your number change.

10. iPhoneFreak17 macrumors member

iPhoneFreak17

switching

btw if u cancel ur line u have to pay $175 termination fee,thats what im doin this summer when the new iphone comes out,im in family plan with verizon,verizon service is good but their phones suck...thats why i want an iphone!