Switching to Bootcamp while in clamshell mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcomp112, Mar 27, 2017.

1. mcomp112 macrumors regular

Hi all. While in clamshell mode (connected to an external display; lid closed), when I restart my MacBook Pro, while holding down the option key to be able to switch to Bootcamp, the computer just restarts MacOS again and I can't seem to go to the screen to select the OS I want to start up with.

This screen is what I'm trying to get to -- http://tssdr1.thessdreview1.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/BootCamp.jpg

Any solutions?

PS: I'm using a wireless keyboard with my MBP in clamshell but used the same with an iMac and had no issues being able to switch OS's by restarting.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

You might want to try with a wired keyboard rather than a wireless one. Whenever I used clamshell mode, I always used a wired keyboard and never had a problem with booting to Windows, even when using rEFIt.

3. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Try toggling the start/boot options in bootcamp assistant from both sides (MacOS/W10) and see if it resolves the problem :)

4. mcomp112 thread starter macrumors regular

I think that's what I'll have to do. Not as convenient though. :(

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I was hoping you did not always have to use this option but would resolve your preferred method after toggling or setting it one way opposed to another :)

6. Boneheadxan macrumors regular

Boneheadxan

I've tackled this issue for years by long pressing the option key in regular intervals after restart. There is a short time after booting when the wireless keyboard actually connects before the boot option screen. But, it's a hit or miss until you get used to it. I'm not sure if it still works in macOS Sierra as I feel the boot time is quicker and no chime as well. As mentioned above, wired keyboard or setting boot disk before restart is the more reliable option.