switching to HDMI input, takes a while

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by afd, May 13, 2008.

1. afd macrumors 6502a

How quickly should a TV switch to a HDMI signal. On my Phillips TV I have to manually select the input, then I have about 10 second of the TV trying to work out the Apple TV's signal before the picture settles down.
    Is this normal for HD TVs? Also can the input be set to change as the Apple TV switches on?

2. jampat macrumors 6502a

My LG takes up to 5 seconds to connect via HDMI. HDMI protocol has some type of handshaking that has to occur before the connection is made. I don't know how long it's supposed to take, but I've never seen it happen instantly.

3. mark34 macrumors 6502a

normal for some handshaking, etc, but 10 seconds seems long. 3 to 5 seems more normal.

4. TexasAg macrumors member

I usually see an image right away for a brief second, then black, then a brief image, then black, etc. It takes a 4-5 second for the negotiations to complete.

5. blackbones macrumors member

This is my experience too. However the first software version of aTV brought the picture up instantaneously, it wasn't until this new version that I've experienced a lag time.

6. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for replies, looks like my TV is not that much out of the ordinary. What about auto detecting the signal and changing the input, does that work for people?

7. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

Sometimes autodetect will initiate an Apple TV reboot, but only when first switching to the Apple TV as an HDMI source.

This never happened until my purchase of a Yamaha A/V receiver with HDMI upgrade (i.e.: all inputs to the receiver are upgraded to HDMI out). My Yamaha is somehow duplicitous in this scenario.

8. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Running my Apple TV through a 4 to 1 MonoPrice switch and I have terrible lag times when switching over to the Apple TV from any other source.

Half the time it freezes and I just the frozen apple screen of death and have reboot the thing.

Problems started after Take 2 Upgrade.

9. TexasAg macrumors member

Have you tried a factory restore and another update? I've got a monoprice HDMI switch and my ATV doesn't have that problem.

10. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

same here ...

11. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I'm using an iogear automatic switch, and it takes about 5-7 seconds. Usually I'll get a brief picture then a purple screen, then a black screen, then my monitor turns off (hooked up to a Dell 2408), then it turns back on, and I finally get a picture. The AppleTV also freezes up once very 2-3 weeks requiring a reboot.

12. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I have an HDMI to DVI cable for my TV and the switch is almost instant.

13. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I believe this is because they had to turn on the DRM features on the HDMI cable for Take 2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdcp

In order to get the studios to let them play high-def movies. This is also the same reason you can't get the HD movies on iTunes (or blu-ray, for that matter) - most Apples don't have HDCP support yet.