Switching to internal speakers with headphones plugged in

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Muscle, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Muscle macrumors regular

Not sure why Apple chooses to do this but as of now my late 2012 iMac will not allow me to switch to internal speakers when I have headphones plugged into the aux port.

I want to purchase a set of wireless headset such as these and would want to be able to switch between headset and built-in speakers on the fly without having to unplug.

So what options do I have? The headset supports S/PDIF digital optical output, does this output method prevent the iMac from disabling the built-in speakers option?

How are most of you guys handling this problem? Would rather not have to use a set of usb speakers or iMic (as their sound qualities are suspect).

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I already answered that question in your other thread yet you don't seem to read.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1564677

3. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

I did read it. If you re-read my original post I mentioned not wanting a usb option like iMic.

I appreciate your help but there is no need to be rude.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Not rude, you already started a different thread on this and if you read the rules this is not allowed.

I also said it is NOT possible due to the HW limitations, so there was your answer and that's why I said you didn't read my post, it is just not possible.

5. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

The thread was about screen bleed. The topic itself never pertained to audio issues.

I'm not asking if its possible. I am asking what options we have other than iMic that will hopefully produce better audio quality.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Airport Express, stream the audio to/via AE to whatever device you want to, example, you want to hear the audio on your AV receiver, the Airport Express has an optical out, so it is even possible to stream Multiple Channel audio.

E=ven an older Airport Express has an Optical Audio port and they aren't that expensive.

7. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually do have an AE, but the airplay lag where video never syncs to sound renders it rather useless for anything but music. I understand theres a 3rd party app Airfoil, but I also game and am skeptic if airfoil will fix the audio lag for gaming as well.

I was hoping some sort of USB DAC would work.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Or break open the iMac and change the connector or pick up the signal.

Or

http://www.overclock.net/t/1063071/looking-for-a-usb-dac-for-under-100-that-works-with-mac-os-x

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/dacs/budget-usb-dac-for-macbook-pro

Or a "USB DAC for mac" search on Google.

9. Muscle thread starter macrumors regular