Switching to iPhone 7+

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
So I am switching back to an iPhone 7+ after being on Samsung for a bit. With the 7+, what's the best app to transfer my texts and contacts?

Now, the iPhone I have I need to get contacts out from for a family member. They have a Galaxy themselves and some of the contacts are in the phone and not Google synced. Should I put the contacts on the SIM card?

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
Go to https://contacts.google.com/

Near the top of the screen under the search bar, click the button that says More, and then click "Export." Export in the vCard format.

Then take those and bring them into your contacts app on your Mac. If you're utilizing iCloud, then those contacts should automatically transfer to your phone as well.

Sorry for not being more descriptive as I am currently at work. Cheers.

Reactions: nviz22

Pnr2020

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2015
Uk
There nothing wrong with putting contacts on SIM card. I done the same thing got shot of my gs8 put all contacts on SIM card put in iPhone then transferred to iPhone and it worked perfectly.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
So I am switching back to an iPhone 7+ after being on Samsung for a bit. With the 7+, what's the best app to transfer my texts and contacts?

Now, the iPhone I have I need to get contacts out from for a family member. They have a Galaxy themselves and some of the contacts are in the phone and not Google synced. Should I put the contacts on the SIM card?
Wait for the 7s/8x to be announced in 5 weeks, and you can get that 7+ a lot cheaper with your plan.

mhunter6378

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2015
The "Move to iOS" app in the Google Play store by Apple claims to move the content you're needing to transfer. I've not used the app myself but Apple has a support page that explains the process.

Reactions: charlesdayton

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
There nothing wrong with putting contacts on SIM card. I done the same thing got shot of my gs8 put all contacts on SIM card put in iPhone then transferred to iPhone and it worked perfectly.
When you move contacts to a SIM card will it move all of the contact information like multiple numbers, multiple addresses for each contact and other info? If so it has changed from my Blackberry days.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Wait for the 7s/8x to be announced in 5 weeks, and you can get that 7+ a lot cheaper with your plan.
I am using a family member's 7+ while they got the S8+ about a month and a half ago. Will be in the mix for the iPhone 8 nevertheless. The plan is to go all in for the iPhone 8.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I am using a family member's 7+ while they got the S8+ about a month and a half ago. Will be in the mix for the iPhone 8 nevertheless. The plan is to go all in for the iPhone 8.
I like your plan. That is mine as well. That is if I can get my hands on one pending the hype surrounding the OLED model.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
I like your plan. That is mine as well. That is if I can get my hands on one pending the hype surrounding the OLED model.
Well, the important thing is to get up around 3 am EST to pre-order it. What I am worried about is the cost to get the device. I really do not like the idea of spending $800 or more on a phone. I already sold my S7 for $315, so that $ will go towards the iPhone. SE will go up for sale and I might buy a cheap Android device to keep around on the side.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Well, the important thing is to get up around 3 am EST to pre-order it. What I am worried about is the cost to get the device. I really do not like the idea of spending $800 or more on a phone. I already sold my S7 for $315, so that $ will go towards the iPhone. SE will go up for sale and I might buy a cheap Android device to keep around on the side.
You will have about 0,003 seconds to get your iPhone 8 pre order in once they go live, anytime after that you are looking at backorder/shipping times of about 10 to 12 weeks ;)
This iPhone 8 pre order will be a joke, just a feeling (and looking at the several pre orders of earlier Apple products)

But again, just MY 2 cents.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
You will have about 0,003 seconds to get your iPhone 8 pre order in once they go live, anytime after that you are looking at backorder/shipping times of about 10 to 12 weeks ;)
This iPhone 8 pre order will be a joke, just a feeling (and looking at the several pre orders of earlier Apple products)

But again, just MY 2 cents.
Had success before with recent pre orders. Plus T-Mobile also sells iPhones too, so that gives me two options. I am not going to be fighting with people over the phone in lines. Though if I still had IUP I would have a better chance at the iPhone 8. The 7S existing gives all those Touch ID cravers a new phone to choose from too. I don't mind a backorder so much because the 7+ will hold me afloat.

jenag145

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2017
When I switched from an Android to a iPhone only thing I couldn't transfer was my texts. If you log in with your Google account you should be able to have all of your contacts and emails.

nviz22

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2013
Now I have to figure out how to make do with 32gb storage and no headphone jack. Probably Google photos and just gotta use the earpods that came with the phone.

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Now I have to figure out how to make do with 32gb storage and no headphone jack. Probably Google photos and just gotta use the earpods that came with the phone.
The earpods are not too bad. I got the BeatsX myself and really enjoy them, I have not seen a lot of lightning erbuds on the market though...
Using Google/iCloud/Dropbox is not a bad solution for limited local storage.

Reactions: nviz22
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.