Switching to iPhone 7+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nviz22, Jul 31, 2017.

1. nviz22 macrumors 601

nviz22

So I am switching back to an iPhone 7+ after being on Samsung for a bit. With the 7+, what's the best app to transfer my texts and contacts?

Now, the iPhone I have I need to get contacts out from for a family member. They have a Galaxy themselves and some of the contacts are in the phone and not Google synced. Should I put the contacts on the SIM card?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Do not put contacts on the sim card as you will lose too much information.

3. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

What's the next option?

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Someone else will have to help as it can be done through Google and I do not use Google.

Sorry

5. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

It's ok. Thanks for your honesty.

6. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Go to https://contacts.google.com/

Near the top of the screen under the search bar, click the button that says More, and then click "Export." Export in the vCard format.

Then take those and bring them into your contacts app on your Mac. If you're utilizing iCloud, then those contacts should automatically transfer to your phone as well.

Sorry for not being more descriptive as I am currently at work. Cheers.

7. Pnr2020 macrumors regular

Pnr2020

There nothing wrong with putting contacts on SIM card. I done the same thing got shot of my gs8 put all contacts on SIM card put in iPhone then transferred to iPhone and it worked perfectly.

8. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Wait for the 7s/8x to be announced in 5 weeks, and you can get that 7+ a lot cheaper with your plan.

9. mhunter6378 macrumors regular

The "Move to iOS" app in the Google Play store by Apple claims to move the content you're needing to transfer. I've not used the app myself but Apple has a support page that explains the process.

10. majkom macrumors 65816

use apple app Move to iOS - easy and it works

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

When you move contacts to a SIM card will it move all of the contact information like multiple numbers, multiple addresses for each contact and other info? If so it has changed from my Blackberry days.

12. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

I am using a family member's 7+ while they got the S8+ about a month and a half ago. Will be in the mix for the iPhone 8 nevertheless. The plan is to go all in for the iPhone 8.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I like your plan. That is mine as well. That is if I can get my hands on one pending the hype surrounding the OLED model.

14. fred98tj macrumors 6502

I used MovetoIos when I went from android to the 7plus about a month ago. Worked perfectly. Contacts came over just fine.

15. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Well, the important thing is to get up around 3 am EST to pre-order it. What I am worried about is the cost to get the device. I really do not like the idea of spending $800 or more on a phone. I already sold my S7 for $315, so that $ will go towards the iPhone. SE will go up for sale and I might buy a cheap Android device to keep around on the side.

16. Geert76 macrumors 65816

You will have about 0,003 seconds to get your iPhone 8 pre order in once they go live, anytime after that you are looking at backorder/shipping times of about 10 to 12 weeks ;)
    This iPhone 8 pre order will be a joke, just a feeling (and looking at the several pre orders of earlier Apple products)

But again, just MY 2 cents.

17. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Had success before with recent pre orders. Plus T-Mobile also sells iPhones too, so that gives me two options. I am not going to be fighting with people over the phone in lines. Though if I still had IUP I would have a better chance at the iPhone 8. The 7S existing gives all those Touch ID cravers a new phone to choose from too. I don't mind a backorder so much because the 7+ will hold me afloat.

18. jenag145 macrumors newbie

When I switched from an Android to a iPhone only thing I couldn't transfer was my texts. If you log in with your Google account you should be able to have all of your contacts and emails.

19. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Now I have to figure out how to make do with 32gb storage and no headphone jack. Probably Google photos and just gotta use the earpods that came with the phone.

20. majkom macrumors 65816

and why not icloud??

21. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 601

nviz22

Google Photos has unlimited storage.

22. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

The earpods are not too bad. I got the BeatsX myself and really enjoy them, I have not seen a lot of lightning erbuds on the market though...
    Using Google/iCloud/Dropbox is not a bad solution for limited local storage.