Switching to iPhone, But Contract not Expired Yet - Advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Nov 29, 2008.

1. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

OK, I've heard various reports and I am curious if this is possible.

My Verizon contract expires on December 9 and at that time I am switching to the iPhone. Is it possible for me to get an iPhone now and then switch my number from Verizon to my iPhone when the contract expires on December 9? If that is possible, are there any charges?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No, you'll have to port your number to VZW on/after December 9th.

3. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Do you mean, get the iPhone and have a different number for the time being? Because *maybe* that can be managed. Otherwise: no.

Only like 11 days left, HANG IN THERE :D

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. This way I can test it out and get use to it before I am using it as my exclusive line.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You could start a new contract with AT&T and then kill the contract before what..14 days I think it is. But they'll charge you for the first month's bill. Then on Dec. 9, start a new contract.

6. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

But I think that voids my discount on the iPhone. I just want to be able to switch my number at that point.

7. porkchopbone macrumors member

Call AT&T customer service and tell them your contract ends on 12/9 with Verizon and your considering switching over to them. See what they'll do for you. My circumstances were alittle different ( my contract didnt end till 10/09 ) and they gave me $125 credit for switching over. I had to fax them my early term bill showing proof which was fine. I couldn't use the credit for the iPhone but my 1st month is free! :D

8. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

Ya I am so anxious myself! I have to wait till January...:eek:

9. dancavallaro macrumors regular

I did exactly what the OP is asking when I switched from Verizon. I got the iPhone 3G a few days after it came out in July, and just opened up a new account with AT&T. My current cell phone was on a Verizon Family Plan, so it only cost like $10 a month. When my Verizon contract expired in September, I just called up AT&T customer service, and they handled the porting of my number from Verizon to AT&T. Piece of cake.

Just make sure that when you open up your new account with AT&T, you do it in the same area code as your existing phone number that you want to port, otherwise you can't port it, as far as I know.

10. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Ahhh, that makes sense! So now I have to go to NY to get the iPhone! I now live in NJ! However, my NY cell phone area code is (718) and there are nomore of those available. I wonder how it will effect it if I get the other NY cell code, 917 or 646.

11. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

I just called ATT and they said that it should not be a problem porting the number from a NY number.