Switching to iPhone from Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThirteenXIII, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

wasnt 100% sure which subforum would be proper...but as the subject states im considering a switch form verizon to att as my contract has expired and wanted to get some information from those who have went from one courier to another..

What were your experiences with changing from say VZ to ATT?
    overall is it worth it for the iphone? ie; customer service & support, pricing and all that.

i currently am with2 other users on the family plan and only pay roughly 110$ a month (700 minutes, unlimited text, no internet service, etc) so bare minimum and iam to understand the price will be a bit higher with regards to the iphone.

it seems that the iphone has its own data plan with att compared to other options with non-iphones?

thanks for tips or input!!

2. kits macrumors member

If you absolutely love iPhone then you will be glad you made the swith to iPhone. But you might want to wait till Summer for the new iPhone.

Don't expect connectivity of AT&T to be anything like Verizon. I came from verizon to Cingular (AT&T now) over 4 years back and believe me even after 4 years AT&T still couldn't catch up what Verizon was 4 years back.

I live in DC metro area and have signal problems inside grocery stores office buildings and malls while my friend who has verizon always has signal.

Good thing with AT&T is they not only have great phones but you can buy many cool unlocked GSM phones. That is the reason I am with AT&T.

3. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

What were your experiences with changing from say VZ to ATT?
    overall is it worth it for the iphone? ie; customer service & support, pricing and all that.
    1. I have better coverage now.
    2. My plan is way cheaper for practically the same features, unlimited data and such. Now it is less than 80 dollars when i had to pay more than 200 dollars.
    3. I can easily call Applecare.

4. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I switched from VZ to ATT. No regrets, no complaints. The switch itself was very easy, they set up everything in the ATT store, including porting my number over. I didn't even have to call VZ to cancel my service, they stop it automatically when they receive the request to port the number from ATT.

It is worth it? Well, that's for you to decide. Can you afford the device and data plan? Are you willing to pay? Again, no regrets here for me.

Yes, the iPhone has it's own data plan on ATT. It's $30/mo and it is on top of the voice and text plan that you choose.

ATT's coverage is better in my area than VZ, which was an added bonus for me to switch for the iPhone. Of course, results will vary in your area. Have you spoken to friends and viewed the coverage map to make sure there is a good ATT signal where you need it?

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I made the switch last year when the 3G was released and I'm quite glad I did. In truth, AT&T's service is not as good as Verizon's where I live. I probably had three or four dropped calls for the entire four years I had Verizon, and they are much more common now.

But...the iPhone makes it all worth it. It really is a revelation (as much as a consumer-grade piece of technology can be). It is absolutely, 100% worth making the switch because the iPhone is that much better than anything else out there.

I would echo the statement above, however, that you should hold off until June (or likely July) if at all possible because all signs point to a new iPhone being released then.