"Switching to Mac" by Pogue: Tiger v Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seenett, Jan 6, 2008.

1. seenett macrumors regular

I got my Macbook a week ago and have been spending several hours a day trying to learn Leopard and "unlearn" Windows. So far I like what I'm seeing, but some things are just not getting through yet. It really helped to get a mighty mouse today instead of my generic bluetooth mouse.

I have seen David Pogue's book "Switching to Mac" referenced here as a great resource for people like me. His Leopard edition won't be published until Feb 8th - the Tiger edition is the current version.

As a new user, would the Tiger version get me through the basics, or should I wait for the Leopard version? I am anxious to get most of the switching mentality behind so I can be more productive sooner - a month is a ling time to wait.

2. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Personally, I'm waiting for the new version - I'll be buying my first Mac in a little over a week, and they always say the "publish date" (in this case, Feb 8th), but sometimes it tends to be on bookshelves before then - I'd think maybe mid-late January.

There are so many new features in Leopard that I think it's worth waiting for the new version of his book to come out.

In the meantime, you might want to pick up Pogue's Leopard edition of "The missing manual"...wow, this is actually a really good read - it's not dry and boring, but he also doesn't cater strictly to people who've barely turned on a computer before either. There's a nice section on the UNIX underside, and plenty of advanced-level discussion to be found, still in a nice easy to *want* to read format.

A++++

The missing manual is currently 30% off at Barnes & Noble, so pick up a copy if you haven't already :)

-Bryan

3. seenett thread starter macrumors regular

I do have The Missing Manual, but it is daunting. I've got to take it half a chapter at a time.

(Wow - I misspelled "daunting" at first. Leopard has a spell check built in! Windows couldn't do that! One more thing I just learned on my own)

4. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

Since you're new to macs, "we" have had them since Tiger (possibly before, but Tiger was my first mac OS). Just another example of Apple's innovations!

Back to the original topic, the Tiger version of the book will cover the same basics of the differences between mac and windows. As someone who started in Tiger and then upgraded to leopard, I don't see that many differences (spaces, time machine, and stacks being the big ones). But I also understand people who would want to wait for the leopard version.

BTW, if you google "tips switching mac" you will find several blogs with tips to help make your switch a little smoother.