Switching to Mac, Bye Bye Sonar 5...Replacement?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Mattman84, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Mattman84 macrumors newbie

I just ordered a new iMac yesterday after my PC died. The only thing I haven't worked out yet with the conversion is which recording software to use. I'm coming from Sonar 5 Producer and felt very comfortable with it. I'm totally up for learning new software, especially if it's more robust.

I've been looking a lot at Logic and Cubase. I'm also up for other suggestions. Does anyone have an opinion on which would be a better transition from Sonar? Or if neither are...which one do you prefer and why?

As far as my needs, I pretty much only used Sonar for recorded audio, applying FX, etc. I do all my MIDI work in Reason through ReWire. If there is a piece of software that will let me do everything in one package, that would be great, but I certainly don't mind continuing to use Reason. I'm rather fond of it.

Also, Logic's live performance options look pretty cool to me.

I know I could run Sonar through Fusion, so if that's stable then it's also an option.

Thanks for any tips!

2. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

My first sequencer was Reason. It is a decent little program in that it is very stable and very user friendly. However...

It is completely worthless to me now that I've started to use Logic Studio. I would recommend Logic over Cubase (as I'm sure any other forum member will). The sound quality is pristine, MIDI work is fantastic, and it's intuitive.

I used to fond of Reason too, Mattman.....until I Logic * came around :D

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Logic studio is the best purchase you could make IMO.

it's way beyond anything out there, in terms of bang for buck.

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

Logic is pretty tough to beat if you are not already practiced in other mac-compatible platform.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

ProTools without a doubt, you don't need all the stuff that comes with Logic, and the editing tools in PT are much closer to the kind of thing your familiar with in Sonar.

It;s more expensive, you have to use (mainly) Digi hardware (or m-audio) but it is the best raw audio recording and mixing package out there. 7.4 is here soon and allows 2 way MIDI over re-wire too.

I re-wire Reason into my 7.3 LE, it works just fine.

6. hexa-db macrumors newbie

Starting with a disclaimer - I haven't even got my mac yet but I have been using Logic since v4 on the PC and have been using 5.5 for quite a while.

I'd take a look at Logic Express, it looks like it does most of what Logic Studio does (but does lack the live performance thingy). The effects in Logic 5 are awesome so I'd imagine they'd be even better in the newer version. I'm planning on getting an upgrade to Logic Studio as I can upgrade for £129 but if that wasn't an option I'd definitely go for Logic Express.

7. aafuss1 macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I'd recommend Logic too-if you get the Studio version, you'll get a good sound library, lots of effects and synths.

8. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Logic! If you went with Pro-Tools, you would have to pay an extra $1000+ to get what comes with Logic. Pro-Tools' current offerings are embarrassing, and I personally hope they change their marketing strategy soon.

MIDI is a nightmare in Pro Tools compared to Sonar and Logic, also.

9. mohthom macrumors newbie

If you're in full time higher ed, it's a no-brainer. Logic studio rules my world - it's great for anything from dabbling to high-end multi-platinum albums. The only limiting factor with Logic Studio is you!

MohThoM

10. Mattman84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm glad there's a majority consensus. The more I look at Logic the more I lust after it. Once I get my iMac next week I'll definitely be downloading a demo to check it out.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Congratulations.

We where using a dHell at Church (yea, I know) for sermon recordings. We had an Omega 3 box with Cubase LE. We switched to an Intel Mac Mini. Cubase LE for Mac didn't work on it, but Garageband did fine with the Omega 3 box.

I had Cubase LE running on my iBook G4 to try it out with the Omega box, seemed like it had some problems (not as bad as on the PC, though).

Based on that, I wouldn't get anything from Cubase...