Switching to Mac; Few Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by exodiusprime, Oct 10, 2011.

1. exodiusprime, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011

exodiusprime macrumors regular

exodiusprime

Hi!

Later this week, I'll finally be taking the plunge into getting a Mac! There are only so many times I can poke around at one in an Apple store, as I like the ease-of-use and general stability I've seen thus far. The plan is to get a 17" 2011 MBP, so I've got a few questions:

• I realize Macs don't have Blu-Ray drives built-in, but I assume an external should work fine? Any particular brands (I have a lot of files which I'd like to eventually burn to BR discs)
    • File transferring: What's the easiest way to do this? Right now, I have a 750GB drive in my current i7 laptop with an external 2TB drive filled to capacity. Is there a "files and settings wizard" of sorts with Macs? If not (as I realize the file systems are different), what options exist? I plan on getting a 3TB external as well to help with this, which leads me to...
    • Do Macs support over 2TB?
    • More of an opinion question, but which do you prefer: Mouse vs Trackpad?

I know most of you may get tired of these sorts of questions, but I'm just hoping the transition is as painless as possible. Right now, I do some light-moderate work in PS, as well as having aspirations to doing DJing work. With the exception of using a IIe waaaaay back and an old iMac some time ago, I've mainly been using PCs since forever. HP has never really let me down, but I'm looking for a change in scenery from Windows. Thanks in advance for any tips!

2. afroAnt, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011

afroAnt macrumors regular

1. http://eshop.macsales.com/search/external+blu+ray Have a look there
    2. I know theres something that can do that but i forgot the name
    3. I think macs can handle over 2tbs
    4. I like mouses but it's your choice

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

Yes OSX supports hard drives over 2 TB. The only problem you're going to run into is the formatting. OSX can't write, at least not natively, to an NTFS formatted drive and you can't put a file over 2GB (or something like that) on a FAT32 drive which OSX can write to. So since you're asking about Blu-ray as well I assume you have Blu-ray movies on your external. What I would recommend, and this is going to suck, is buying the 3 TB hd, and formatting everything to OSX extended so that you can write files over 2 GB to the external drive. You're going to have to format your 3 TB hard drive, transfer your 2 TB hard drive contents to that drive, than format your other drive to OSX extended.

The trackpad on the Apple laptops is nothing short of phenomenal. Because of this I don't even use a mouse anymore. I would wait and see before buying a mouse or anything like that. If you are going to be connecting your computer to an external monitor and doing things like that, the wireless Apple keyboard is great, though you can use whatever you want.

4. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend the exFAT file format if you want a hard drive that's read-write compatible between Mac and PC.

Any Blu-Ray drive ought to work. I installed one in my Mac Pro.

Roxio Toast supports Blu-Ray burning on Mac.

OS X Lion has a built in transfer from PC feature.

Drives over 2 TB are supported.

5. exodiusprime thread starter macrumors regular

exodiusprime

Thanks for the replies, all! Seems the transitioning of files is gonna be the most "fun" part, but I was already expecting it to be slight difficult. Also good to hear I can use BluRay!

Another question: If I bought a used Mac, can Applecare be added if it's a new model (2011)? As I've heard good things from having it (not that I'd hope I'd ever need it), just hope it's an option :)

6. sebo macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Mac Mini but did consider a secondhand Macbook before I was swayed by the cost of a new one. Apple Care's protection plan will only cover you with any new Mac systems, not second hand - so you'd be at a loss without any cover from Apple.

As the existing owner of a Macbook though and having had a problem with my Mac which got covered under the "last remaining days" of the Apple Care/guarantee, I found a lot of solutions online and got to know my Mac in the three years I have had it using the older Tiger running system. I'm still learning about it, and when the guy recognised the problem I had, and recognised that a new hardware had to be installed, I realised I could have actually have done the job myself!

Buying second hand if you must with a Mac, is a better idea than going with second hand PC's. There's tons of help online and you'll be quickly change your perceptions about computers and their associated hardware when you become an owner.

7. exodiusprime thread starter macrumors regular

exodiusprime

sebo, does that apply even if the person has the original receipt showing the date of purchase? I recall going to an Apple store due to a random audio issue with my iphone and the rep mentioned I could add AppleCare to the phone even though I already had it for nearly a year at the time.

8. JonasDK macrumors member

Just buy "NTFS for Mac OS X" = problem solved. It is about $20 but I know there is a discount right now, so you can get it even cheaper. It works perfectly in the background.

As for the trackpad vs mouse-question: Get both. Trackpad for everyday use, and mouse for more delicate stuff like idk gaming or photo editing etc.

BUT: Do NOT buy the "Magic Mouse".. it is rubbish.. go Logitech or some other strong mouse-brand.