switching to mac, few questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JosephEsquivel, Oct 25, 2007.

1. JosephEsquivel macrumors regular

I have an external drive that has all my personal files, like videos, pics, documents. The external is currently used with my PC, which will soon be happily replaced. When i get my Mac can i just plug this external into it and it will be able to read the files fine?

Also, i know its been asked, but whats the least painful way to watch my Windows media files (vids) on my new Mac?

2. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

The Flip4Mac Plugin (free) allows you to play WMV files directly in Apple QuickTime. :)

3. Frozentoast macrumors 6502

Frozentoast

Double post! :eek:

OS X supports the majority of common file-types yes.

4. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

also, when i g et th emac, and i do a clean OS install, whats the average size already taken up on the HDD

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

What format is your external hard drive at the moment? You might be able to read from it in OS X, but probably not write, depending on the format.

6. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

well i use it on my HP PC, so im not sure what format other than that it is. I want to move evetything over, format the drive, then move everything back with time machine

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If it's formatted FAT32, you can read it just fine. If it's formatted NTFS, it'll be more problematic (there are drivers available that allow OS X to read NTFS now, thankfully). The easiest way would probably be to directly connect your PC and new Mac, and access your PC remotely. Then, copy over Ethernet. That way you avoid any format issues between Windows and OS X.

8. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

yea its ntfs...so the Mac wont be able to read from it? what kind of issues would i run into?

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Unless you install some drivers on your iMac, it won't recognize the drive when it's plugged in. Just like what would happen if you plugged in your HFS+ formatted drive into your HP machine. Like I said, you'll be able to work around it somehow, so come back for instructions when your iMac arrives. No worries.

10. JosephEsquivel thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanx fo ryour help, i hope to get my Refurbed MAcbook next month