Switching to Mac from PC, how not to lose anything

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by caspersoong, Nov 12, 2011.

1. caspersoong, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

caspersoong macrumors 6502a

Hi, I am switching from an old PC to a MacBook Pro, finally. I am worried about losing my old backups, photos, music and app data and apps, etc when I move. Can you all please tell me how to move my entire iTunes library, photos, backups, etc. without any loss of data? And also, I want to jailbreak my iPod touch on my windows PC iOS 5.0, not on the Mac (for my own personal reasons), will I be able to boot tethered on the Mac from then onwards? (I am sorry, I thought that I would just bundle everything together instead of placing a separate question in iPod touch hacks. Please forgive me if what I am doing is wrong). Is this all possible? My notes, bookmarks, mail, etc. are on iCloud so no worries about that, just the iTunes library, photos and backups. Thanks so much!!! All the itty bitty details will be appreciated! Oh yeah, and what Documents in the Cloud bug was fixed in iOS 5.0.1?

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

With pictures/music/videos these are all just simply files that work when saving in your OSX's home folder in the respective locations.

It's easy if you're using Win7/Vista on the PC since the correlation will be natural to you on OS X.

Other than that then you can use iPhoto which imports all your photos into a cohesive & simplistic data library (much easier to manage than individual pictures or folders of pictures).

welcome to OS X!

PS: regarding app data you may want to be cautious as some app data is specific to the platform you're on. Find the same apps you use as being available on OSX and then seek out via the vendor's site for support of app data. if you have PST files, then ONLY Outlook 2011 for Mac can access them (previous entourage versions could not).

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You realize the Apple Store will migrate for you?

Personally, I used the Belkin PC-Mac cable several times.

4. caspersoong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info and the welcome!!! And errr... no Apple Store here... only Apple Authorised Reseller. Also, is the iBooks crashing on launch problem only for a few iOS 5 jailbroken devices or all? If I apply the fix, will I lose bookmarks, highlights and notes? And after untethered comes out, how will I restore iBooks to the original one? Thanks.

5. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler