Switching to Mac Mail from Outlook 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by creativedogmedia, Feb 6, 2012.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

So after realizing that Outlook is quite the hog on resources I made the switch tonight. Do I need to do anything other than not open outlook again? I use Exchange through my company and put those settings into Mail and everything seems to be pulling over just fine. I'm sure there will be some adjustments to make but it seems so much more responsive. Thanks.

MBP w/Lion

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, you don't need to do anything else... but I don't find Outlook a resource hog at all. I am mildly curious as to why you do.

3. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I moved my email over to the server from being stored locally (was just informed we have unlimited server space) and would go 30 mins or so without receiving emails in my inbox but would get them instantly on my device. Just seems like a lot more things are going on with Outlook - even opening it takes a good while compared to Mail. Getting used to the separate calendar, addressbook and mail sections will take some getting used to but it wasnt 6 months ago that I didnt think I would ever be happy with an iPhone and here I am.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It probably has to do with the way that you have your inbox configured. If you have all of your folders under the inbox, it takes longer to sync during startup, and this also delays the ability to sync newly received emails. It also has to do with the way that Outlook 2011 is designed, based off of the version 1 releases, the next version should rectify this.

I too have moved away from Outlook, but mainly because I get all sorts of sync issues, caused by my CRM account being tied into my Outlook (needed for work). I felt that it was a resource hog as well (but could never prove it through Activity monitor). Turns out it was because of my folders being under the inbox and just the nature of the current design. I just felt that it was bloated and slow due to Mail and my iPhone receiving quicker. Like I said it was due to my configuration and the nature of Outlook, not the use of resources.

5. gstrawson macrumors newbie

trying to get out of outlook and into mail

i just bought eaglefiler to get me out of outlook into mail, following advice, but when i press F1 with eaglefiler open, holding down fn, to get the files from outlook, all that happens is that spotlight opens. can anyone help?