Switching to Mac, need more info

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ohalexis, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. ohalexis macrumors newbie

    Apr 16, 2006
    I'm new here, but the reason brought me here is because I wanna SWITCH!!

    Being a PC user for 10+ years, I can't count how much money I have spent on buying/upgrading my rigs,now finally I made a decision to free some of my hard earned money to join the Mac world, it was hard but definately exciting.

    Anyway, I was told the MacBook Pro is subject to have a big revision in August, most likely with a 64-bit new core, the core duo on current generation cannot be substituted.

    Now I don't know if I can hold any longer, but if the information is true, I can wait till August, but definately NOT October. So guys, give me some advice please.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor


    Staff Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    No specific dates for a revision are known yet. You'll want to look at this article for information on the release of Merom, the new processor you're referring to.

    When Merom will be released isn't known...could be as early as June (I doubt that), or could be much later, October certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

    There's always something better around the corner. If you keep waiting for The Next Big Thing, you'll never make the purchase. I would recommend you go ahead and take the plunge now.
  3. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I say to just go and make the switch now. The current MacBook Pro is quite an awesome machine that will last you for years to come should you choose. :)
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    It depends on whether you need a full desktop replacement portable or not

    The Yonah based Core Duo is the very first processor in the transition and it seems adequate for most portable needs.

    The Merom may be a bit more efficient with running temps and battery life.

    Personally, I'm more conservative leaning towards the 17" iMac for a primary
    workstation and a more basic laptop for general portable needs.

    You said you're tired of continual upgrades, so it may be well worth the wait
    if you can stand to hold out through summer.
  5. Nermal Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    For a first-time user, you might as well get a current system. You'll spend so much time exploring the new OS and apps that you won't be worrying about performance. Remember that all existing apps are designed to run on the same or worse specs as the current systems.
  6. ohalexis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 16, 2006
    Thank you for all of your replies.

    I was think the same thing that if I wait I will wait forever. So I am thinking to get an iMac 17' first, if the new Morem turned out to be compatible with current iMac's processor socket, I will just buy a new chip and swtich out the core duo. As for the MacBook Pro, probably I will wait till september to see what happens. I can just use my trust T40 at the moment.
  7. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The 17" iMac gets you into a fantastic system at a very reasonable price.

    I would figure in adding at least 1GB and preferably 2 GB 3rd party RAM to
    enjoy the best performance.

    With the education discount that's $1199 for the stock 17" iMac and about
    $200 for the additional 2 GB RAM.
  8. ohalexis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 16, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestion. That will be the first thing I do on getting the Mac. But $200 for 2GB Ram?! wow, compare to our prices here (Canada), ram prices across the boarder always amazes me.

  9. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I was close

    OWC (macsales.com) shows their 1 GB generic Apple guaranteed RAM modules for the 17" Core Duo iMacs starting at $114.99 each, $119.99 for Techworks and $179.99 for factory original Samsung RAM.

    Data Memory Systems (datamem.com) MY FAVORITE!
    is listing their Apple guaranteed 1 GB RAM modules @ $117.00 each

    Crucial lists their 1 GB Core Duo iMac modules @ $145.49
    Crucial is a distributor for Micron RAM.
  10. ohalexis thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 16, 2006
    now that is detail!!

    Thanks a lot.

    I will probably get some ran from the states then.

  11. netdog macrumors 603


    Feb 6, 2006
    Get an iMac now and a MacBook Pro once the Merom is put into it. According to MacTech, in their MS-Office bench tests, they find that the iMac is much faster than the MacBook Pro, even though the iMac had less RAM installed.
  12. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHz $1199.00 (edu.)

    17-inch widescreen LCD with 1440x900 resolution
    1.83GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 cache
    512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM*
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive 7200 RPM
    Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

    AppleCare adds $119.00 and well worth it.

    $1318.00 before tax and any additional RAM*
    Wireless KB and Mouse adds $54.00 (not included in total here)

    MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz Core Duo $1799.00 ( edu.)

    15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution
    1.83GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache (1)
    667MHz frontside bus
    512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM*
    80GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

    AppleCare adds $239 and well worth it.

    However it would cost an additional $180 to
    add the 100GB 7200 RPM HD.

    So the comparable MacBook Pro would cost $2218.00 before tax
    and any additional RAM.

    *(Apple charges $90.00 to add 512MB of RAM for
    a total of 1 GB installed on either machine.)

    So you would be paying $900 extra to get a MacBook Pro
    with comparable features to the 17" iMac.

    I would get the 17" iMac and then spend that $900.00 extra
    towards a basic MacBook when they arrive.
  13. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    Congrats on the decision to make the switch. There may be a release of the 17" MacBook Pro next week.
  14. crazydrumma macrumors regular

    Jan 31, 2006
    I say just buy the MBP now. They are lightning fast, and will most likely be far better than any computer that you've ever owned. I'm guessing if you but the MBP now, and they do come out with the Merom chips in August, your MBP will still last you a long time. Apple computers are amazing. My friend owns a Powerbook G4 from 2000, and it runs halo 3 times faster than the xbox. Trust me, the Macbook Pro won't "slow down" like a PC.
  15. coffey7 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 12, 2006
    faster than xbox

    wait a minute halo was made first for the xbox then came out for computers.It runs perfect on the xbox. on the pc it was given less than perfect reviews.

Share This Page