Switching to mac, need some advice!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by theman, Jul 26, 2007.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

So, my stupid windows desktop pretty much only successfully starts up after pressing the restart button about 10 times...... so I am deciding to trash it and get a mac. :)

I plan on buying a new Macbook Pro 15" by the end of the week. :cool:

However, I'm not sure where this will leave my recording setup. I do recording of violin and sometimes vocal. Currently, my setup is as follows

Rode NT5 Condenser Mics

Presonus Bluetube Mic Preamp

M-Audio Audiophile 192 PCI interface card

Now, it is a great setup for me, but I am definitely looking for some more portability (hence the MBP).

I have been searching around for a good USB/FW interface for a while, and I came to THIS ONE.

It looks like the best thing out there for the price, plus, I have read a lot of good things about the Onyx Mic Preamps. I want to know if anybody has any experience with this thing. Any other comments would be really nice too.

I am already selling my PCI card and will sell the mic preamp if I get this.

Thanks!

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

That looks like a pretty safe option. I use an Alesis MultiMix Firewire, which you may find is more flexible. It's essentially a mixing desk with an interface built in. However, it's much larger than the Onyx, although it would provide better results if you wanted to record from multiple microphones at the same time.

3. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... I'm not sure I need that much I/O. With the Satellite, I will probably only be using the detachable pod (maybe I can use the base for some miscellaneous stuff). I really only need 2 powered mic inputs and 2 outputs. Why would the Alesis provide better results with multiple mics?

thanks.