Switching to Mac Pro (2009 Octo)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by WytRaven, Mar 19, 2009.

1. WytRaven macrumors 6502

Hi everybody,

I have been watching this forum for some time now during the lead up to the 2009 mac pro release as I am an existing PC user that is aiming to switch to :apple: via a 2009 octo Mac Pro.

I have a few technical questions to ask and am aware that they simply may not be answerable by those who frequent this board but will ask anyway.

First some background: I currently own an Athlon FX62 based machine which is primarily used for three tasks, unbiased 3d rendering (indigo), HD video editing (Premier CS4), and music production (tracktion 3 and Renoise). The machine is self built and features a very sonically efficient water cooling system, something I have grown very used to. My decision to switch to :apple: has been brought about primarily by complete disgust with all things Microsoft, lack of enjoyment from linux, and the purchase of an iMac for my wife (which caused me to fall in love with MacOS).

Experiencing MacOS X for the first time brought back feelings toward computers that I haven't felt since the Amiga days and it's a feeling I very much want to restore.

Ok on to my questions. I am currently looking at a configuration something like this:

2 x 2.66GHz Nehalem Xeon CPU
    6 x 2GB Ram
    1 x 640GB "Apple" HD (Backup)
    3 x OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (single software RAID0)
    1 x ACD 30" (Hopefully LED exists once I'm ready to buy)

Total: a stupid amount of $$

Now I am really used to the stable noise output of my current machine which under normal ambient conditions is effectively silent. It is silent ALL of the time no matter what the load.

I have been somewhat concerned by the discussions on this board about 2009 Mac Pro noise levels, in particular the vid cards, and so can't help but consider water cooling the pro. However being unfamiliar with :apple: designs I am ignorant when it comes to things like motherboard design. So...does :apple: follow the standards when it comes to motherboard mounting points for heatsinks, I know they have custom built sinks, but do they still mount as per Intel specified hole spacings?

This brings me to question 2: does :apple: employ anti-tamper techniques to detect if a user has been playing with the hardware (removed HS, removed MB) in the event of a warranty return. You know, things like paaint daubing screws that sort of thing. I ask this because if for some reason my pro turns out to be faulty in some way and I need to return it (after reinstallation of stock HS etc) will I find myself having troubles?

This is pretty important as I am used to dealing with warranties on a part by part basis not an entire machine basis and when this entire machine (apple standard part at least) will be somewhere around AUD$9000.00 I really don't want to find myself left with a 9K brick in the event of possible defect. So to sumarise, if I customize the machine, it turns out there is a problem with the machine, I restore it to the way it arrived, and return for service, will I run into trouble? Keep in mind I am not talking about returning in the instance where a modification of mine has caused a problem (say pipe bursts and blows MB) as I personally think that is immoral.

The intention is to buy AppleCare for this machine but I really don't want to go through 3 years of what I consider noise pollution just for the sake of maintaining warranty fitness :/

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, they follow Intel's mounting specs. The boards however, aren't similar at all. Particularly with the '09 MP using a daughtercard method of installing memory and CPU's.

Not that I'm aware of. Many users make their own mods, but I'm not aware of any that did water cooling.

Given the internal case design, you'd almost certainly need to keep the radiator, pump,... external. Depending on your installed PCIe peripherals, you may need to cut the case to allow for the tubing. This could cause you a problem (Void the warranty), as Apple may wish to do an exchange (warranty replacement), rather than a repair. Depending on what's wrong of course.

If you're able to route them through an unused PCIe slot cover, you'd be fine. ;) :D At least you can return the system to original spec, as those who have sent in systems in the past with things like memory upgrades, found the system returned to them were missing the 3rd party components. (System was replaced, as the S/N was different IIRC).

Given the cost for replacement parts, Apple Care is certainly a good idea. ;)

3. WytRaven thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feed back nanofrog. The idea, which I failed to mention, is to actually remove the guts of the pro from that very nice case and mount them in a custom designed desk which the WC gear is also an intimate part of. Hard to explain in a few words but the end result is the case itself would not be damaged at all.

Thanks for the other information it has given me a little more to base my decisions upon.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool:

Not that odd, actually. I was seriously considering transfering the guts of an '08 MP to a Lian Li case for the drive bays. :D Mac Pro Transplant! :eek: ;) :p

It turned out not to be worth it financially though. (I couldn't keep to one OS for what I needed it for, so I returned the MP about a week later). I was frustrated, chugging along with my old slug. In the end, I waited for Nehalem, and built a DIY system instead. :)