Switching to Mac soon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyborg21, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Cyborg21, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

Hello, First of all sorry for my bad english. I decided to switch to Mac. But I have lots of questions:

1) What should I now before buying a Mac?
    2) Do I need an Antivirus software for my Mac?
    3) I am getting a 15'' MacBook Pro with retina, so how long is lifespan of battery
    4) When will I need to replace battery?
    5) How much does it costs to upgrade RAM or change battery after buying?
    6) Is there a good alternative to Apple USB superdrive?
    7) Can I watch blue-ray CDs if I connect a blue-ray drive to my Mac?
    8) I am going to use it for a very long time (4-5 years). So will it able to run smoothly and run Apps and programs?
    9) What are the tips and tricks for Macs?
    10) Can I get OS X mountain lion ''feel'', like leather texture on iCal or old iOS folder texture, etc.?
    11) Will iOS 7 design come to OS X 10.10? I don't liked iOS 7 design and I don't want to see that neon colours in my laptop. so will Apple bring iOS 7 design to Mac with OS X 10.10 (Syrah?)

Thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should know what you intend to use the computer for, what types of apps you intend to run.
    No. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.
    When the MR Guides are back online, read the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ. Until the MR Guides are available, you can read most of the same info in the Mac Virus/Malware Info post, on which the FAQ is based.
    That depends on how you care for the battery and your use patterns. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    When it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, or if it displays signs of swelling or any defect.

You can't upgrade RAM after purchase, as it's soldered in. Battery replacement is $199 pre-tax. Battery replacement info is in the Battery FAQ above and here.

Yes.

This may be useful:

3. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Tips and tricks:

-You may want to reverse scrolling in system preferences.
    -Adjust the Finder to show "Path" on the bottom, and also the "Path button" on the top bar.
    -Ungroup apps in Mission Control preferences.
    -Customize "Hot Corners"
    -Customize Dashboard by adding Translation, unit conversion and Currency conversion
    -Check the app "better touch tool" so you can customize your gestures.

It is a good idea to have the following free apps:

-Stuffit Expander (works like winzip/winrar)
    -Machacha (works like hjsplit)
    -Library Hunter (catalogs your collection of books, dVDs, games)
    -Candy Bar (changes your icons for a more personalized feel)
    -Open Office (works like WORD/Excel)
    -Vuze
    -Firefox/google chrome

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Get a book, such as this : http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac...words=switching+to+the+mac+the+missing+manual