Switching to Mac - What About Cookies

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GovtLawyer, Mar 11, 2009.

1. GovtLawyer macrumors 6502

I'll be switching from a PC to a MAc, and it just dawned on me that there are a number of cookies on my computer which I would like to take with me. I find some cookies to be very valuable. Some sites, I want to remember me; such as, banking and some shopping sites. Also forums and other places which have passwords and can remember me, or can remember where I've been on the site.

Is there anyway to take those along? My procedure is to copy everything I need to my external drive and then copying from there to the Mac. I don't think I'll have much of a problem finding out where things should be put; so, I'm not using any automatic migration assistance or plugging the two computers together.

Thanks,
    Steven

2. kevin0807 macrumors newbie

just copy the cookie and paste it to your external hard drive. it should work

3. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Then what?

Where do I copy it to on the iMac?

4. kevin0807 macrumors newbie

just open up the site and then click the add bookmark sign.

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Uh...why not just log in again and it will save a cookie.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

... for cookies?

Are you sure?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I think that Kevin is thinking of bookmarks.

I've never heard of anyone trying to manually import cookies before, and I'm still not sure why you'd go to the bother. Just log in again. Cookies are not designed to be permanent; in fact, they cannot be. When a site logs you in "forever", it usually just sets a cookie to expire a few years in the future.

So just log in again. It'll help keep you from forgetting your passwords. Or is it too late for that?

8. kevin0807 macrumors newbie

oh my bad, yeah i was thinking of bookmarks. im sorry :p

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

As people have said, importing cookies is not something you really need to do, just go to the site again. As for passwords, that would depend where you are storing them. If they are in Firefox, I'd imagine that you could transfer them to Firefox on your mac. If they are in a different program, you might want to check with whichever program you plan on using on the mac. 1password and Allsecure are two that I can think of off the top of my head. Allsecure is pretty lame when it comes to importing (i.e. it doesn't).

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its not actually safe to leave cookies especially ones for banking activated on your computer anyway, you should clean them out once a month. If someone decided to trojan your computer....they'd get instant access with all passwords pre filled out for everything, even banking :rolleyes:

11. GovtLawyer thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess remembering passwords is not all that important; I'm sure I'd figure them out or ask the site to remind me. I was just thinking of being remembered when I go to a site. At some sites I like that they know what I've bought and what I might like, or where I've been on the site and where I left off. Not the end of the world if I can't do it. If it can be done easily I'd like to do it. If not, no big deal.

Thanks - Steven

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Usually the sites are storing that data on their own servers and not relying on your cookies. For example, Amazon remembering your purchase preferences is handled on their end.

Cookies would pretty much be for language preferences or remembered login information.

13. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I've always understood that the banking cookies are never set up with passwords for this reason. They, at the most, might store your username but never the password.