Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kayobi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Hi I am looking to switch from a PC to mac. This is my first post.I have been reading posts on this forum for a while to decide on which mac to choose.
I want to get an imac for graphic designing (photoshop). my budget is just above £500.(1,008.50 USD)

1)should i get the new imac - will the glossy screen be an issue for photoshop or too distracting?

2)or should i get I get a 20" old mac because it is cheaper and works fine (have the prices of the new ones been reduced)?

3)If buying an old mac should i buy a refurb and will they come with ilfe08.

4) Will a refurb of the old mac come with leopard if I wait for it to be released later in the year.

I will be buying the mac in november (thanksgiving) in Newyork, when I am on holiday from london.

Thanks for all your help in advance.:)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
The new 20" iMacs start at £799 which is over your budget.
Refurbs are good value, you might be able to pick up a last generation 17" for £500.

kayobi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
thanks

Thanks for your advice. I will go back and take a look at the glossy again if it does not bug me I will buy it. Should Iwait for leopar.
Thanks again

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
The problem with glossy is that the colours don't get accurately presented, so how the picture look on your screen isn't always what it'll look like in print. But if you aren't planning to use PS extensively or print your pictures, it's not too bad.
As for the refurb, you usually don't get those in stores. However, you might be able to have a refreshed or open box machine that would cost around the same. And all refurb comes with the latest software, so you would get iLife 08 and Leopard when it comes out. I would suggest getting the older iMac because the specs for the 20'' hasn't changed much. Do a side to side compare and you'll find that the new baseline iMac is slower than the old 20''. A refurb 20'' costs $1099, which the new baseline iMac costs $1199.
Leopard would be out in October, so since you're getting your computer in November, you'll get it with your Mac :).

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Just a thought here, but when you come back to the UK, wont you have to pay tax on that through customs....?

To be honest, look at some Authorised resellers or on eBay and you tend to find pretty good deals on there for older Macs.

kayobi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Thanks

Thanks teflon for your adviceI think I will go with the refurb. i get easily distrated with reflections and sincetis will be my first mac I reall dont mind getting the old one.
willis - I havent got a clue about tax, a friend came back from america with a macbook and she had no problems. If that will be an issue I will just send in to Ghana since I am moving back there in december.Once again thanks for all the help you have answered all my questions.
God bless you.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
willis - I havent got a clue about tax, a friend came back from america with a macbook and she had no problems. If that will be an issue I will just send in to Ghana since I am moving back there in december.Once again thanks for all the help you have answered all my questions.
God bless you.

Yes, a Macbook. You can put a laptop in a suitcase and no one would be the wiser. A desktop is a bit harder to conceal if you get my drift. (imagine the x-ray guys who scan your bags. They'd be like :eek:

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
Also, if you have the opportunity, visit New Hampshire or Delaware since they have no sales tax.

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
Also remember that the desktop Mac warranty is not international. So no warranty if you take it out of the US. Notebooks have a global warranty.

Actually, now all Apple computers appear to have global warranty. I don't know when this happened, but on all Mac's warranty info it says "To enjoy peace of mind for three full years from your purchase date, simply choose the award-winning AppleCare Protection Plan. You’ll get unlimited toll-free phone support with our experts, plus global repair or replacement service on your Mac and included accessories.

kayobi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Thanks

Thanks for all the advice if only i could sneak the imac into england. It will be a no brainer cause i would then have to sneak it into ghana.
I guess I have to settle with a macbook then -ahwell

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
ghana

first, good idea to switch to mac.

1) glossy is fine, unless you hate glossy. new imac is great.
2) old imac is cheaper, but lower resale vale. plus you will not find one later in the year when you want to buy.
3) refurb, is bad idea, particularly in ghana, where potential repairs could be difficult. ilife will not come with it, but you can get it free separately thru an upgrade program apple has.
4) don't know.

other things:
-ghana has 220v, us has 100v, but fortunately imac and macbooks have built-in auto adaptor for this.
-imac price difference. 550bps in us, 800bps in uk. however..... you can tell apple uk that you are taking it to ghana, and they will fill out the forms you need to buy it TAX-FREE!!!! price ex tax is 680bps.
by the time you add local taxes in the us (often 10%) and the risk of paying import tax coming into uk, (you can tell the uk customs to hold the computer until you leave again to ghana, thus you pay no import tax in uk), it is not woth the hassle of buying in the us. there is only a potential 80bps savings.
-importing into ghana? that may be expensive.... in that case, a macbook may be easier to sneak in.
-warranty. as someone mentioned... do make sure you get an international warranty!!! and getting apple care is a good idea in your case too.

my advice, buy in the uk in november. and if you like the imac, get the new one.

cheers:)

kayobi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
wow

wow panda that was avery informative psot. to be honest with you I am really confused now. I really have to figure out the cheapest way to get this into ghana ie. shipping from us or uk. thanks fro all the advice you all have been very helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.