Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Slu maybe this post could help you out maybe not, but I will give my thoughts. So I think we as smartphone user fight tooth and nail to defend the OS that we choose for many reasons, but we also over look things because we don't want to see negatives. I for one will start by saying I have over looked disadvantages in android many times because I don't see them as disadvantages any more. I have argued for a long time that app quality is about the same on ios and android. Now this is becoming more true over the years, but is still not completely true. Of course there are apps that are completely the same, but other are not and ios has better versions of those apps. I think this is true because ios has only 3 devices and 3 screen sizes to worry about. On android developers have to worry about 100s of sizes, and different versions of android. It just takes more to make an app that works on android. I used ios for a long time, and would always get into arguments with my friend who use android that ios was better. I would always fight that ios was open enough and I could customize my iphone how I wanted it. It was not until I used android that I realize what I was missing in customization. The point I trying to make is we see what we want to see, but both ios and android have negatives is about whether you can still be happy with the OS beyond those things.

So I thought I would go app by app for the ones that I use most, and describe the ios and android versions. I will give you my opinion on which one I like the best. I am going to be as honest as I can.

Facebook- I think we all know that app is just crap on both. The ios version seems to be just a bit better, but that is not saying much at all. Dont really use facebook as much as I did when I was in college, so not really that big of deal to me any more.

Email- Now this is just my experience, but my main email is a gmail email. I find the gmail app to work better for me on android than the stock email app on ios. Now ios email app does a better job of putting all your emails in one place. After finding out about have the emails being able to fit on screen has help so much. Now I have a work email that is an exchange email, and to be honest I do not see the big difference in the two. Now this has come up on this thread several times that the android one is crap, but I just don't use is enough to see it.

Messaging app- I like the stock android app is better than any of the messaging apps on the play store, but I think the ios messaging app wins here. Now maybe after Babel is released it will be a different story, but the imessage and sms being put together is great. This is one of the things I miss about ios.

Music player- ios hands down has a way better music app. This is my number one thing I miss. This was one of the reason I tried the iphone 5. Don't get me wrong the play music app is awesome because you can have all your itunes music in one place without paying anything, but UI wise ios has this one.

Youtube- well seeing as Google owns youtube the android version is way better. Now youtube for ios is updating all the time, so it is getting better still though not as good.

Camera app- well this one is not a hard one ios. Do I need say more?

Tapatalk- this one is my one of most used apps for me. I say they both leave a lot to be desired, but if I had to choose one I would say ios because it has push notifications. Again like facebook I don't find either to be great, and both have a lot of lag.

Maps- google maps to be is hands down the best. Well I should say google maps on android is better than Apple maps. The ios google maps is not that good. Apple maps for being just introduced is pretty good, and will get better, but Google maps I think is the best navigation experience you can get.

Checkbook app- Some people may never use this, but I use this anytime I buy something. I used an app called iReconcile on ios as a checkbook register. Man was that app great. Miss that a lot. After searching for months and months I found easymoney, and I have to say not to bad, but still not iReconcile.

IMDB- another app I use a ton. I have to say it really is just the same on both. It is a good app that works well on both, and there really is no difference.

Flixster- about the same on both. Can't really see any difference.

Twitter- I use the official Twitter app, so I can't speak for the Twitter clients people speak of. The twitter app seems just as good on both.

Browser- I was never a big fan of Safari, and I am still not sold on Chrome. I really liked the stock browser on the galaxy nexus and thought it took the cake. If I had to choose between Safari and Chrome I would go with Chrome. Safari to me just is not for me. It seems so outdated with have a search bar that is not in the url. What browser on any platform does not offer this? This is not to say Chrome is great it is just better than Safari.

At&t UVerse- this is much better on android, but still At&t what can I say the app is just not that good on either. Android seems to add a lot better UI than ios. Things just seem easier to navigate on the android app.

Weather channel- this use to be a toss up, but after the android one got updated a couple of months ago it went south. They add this very cartoonish UI that is a real turn off. I will take the ios version all day long. The only thing I like better about the android version is that I can put the temperature in the notification bar.

Siri or Google now- well I think this might come down to preference, but I will say Siri seems to do more, and google picks up voices better. Now seems to get things more accurate, but Siri just does more stuff. I will let you see for yourself and decide.

Calendar- I like stock android much better. The ios one just seems to me kind of a mess. I think the stock android one is much cleaner and easier to use. Android when looking at the month view seems to give way more information than ios.

Clock app- really like the design of the android one, but ios has the sleep timer built in that lets you sleep whatever music is playing at the time. I use this every night when I am in bed. I know you can download apps from the playstore that do the same thing, but that does not count in app to app comparison.

Pandora- This use to be a no question ios win, but now I think it is a toss up. They both seem to be just a like. Just from me looking at them right now design and polish goes to ios. Over all functionality goes to android. Seems to add more to the experience.

Speed test app- I use this a lot and find the ios after the new update much better. If they get around to updating the android one it will be a toss up again.

Amazon- I like the UI just a bit more on android. Pretty much the same on both.

I know this was long, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible and give you some insight after being a long time user of both. I choose android even after some of my most used apps are not quite as good. Still I just like the way android works better than ios. If you have any question or there are apps that I left out that you want to know about let me know. There are going to be many I have never used, and I will let you know if that is the case. I hope this helps some.

I think google maps does a better job with alternative routes, but looks horrendous on android. Google actually admitted their IOS version looks better than the android version. I think apple maps is the cleanest of them all

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I think google maps does a better job with alternative routes, but looks horrendous on android. Google actually admitted their IOS version looks better than the android version. I think apple maps is the cleanest of them all

Personal preference I guess, but I am still an android Google maps fan. It has not let me down.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
This is what TuneIn looks like streaming on my HTC One (screenshot on the right). The same feed on my iP5 has controls allowing rewind/pause/forward, but none on the Android app.

I've got tune in radio pro and can pause and use the bar Along the top to scratch backwards with full pause/10 second replay record and stop.
screenkhk.png

Perhaps its a limitation of the free Android version?

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
This widget is amazing!

I have been using Executive Assistant for a couple of years now. It could use a visual overhaul, but functionally, is gotten better with every update. It is my one must-have app.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I have been using Executive Assistant for a couple of years now. It could use a visual overhaul, but functionally, is gotten better with every update. It is my one must-have app.

Is there a free version? $7 seems like a lot.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Oh really the paid version is that good?

For me at least :D.

I have the widget on my lockscreen and also my homescreen. In combination with Lightflow, I found that I did not need notifications any more. Other than text messages, all other notifications are turned off. Plus I can reply to text messages from right within the widget, even from the lockscreen, if I choose to enable that feature.

On my lockscreen, I have set the widget to just show just minimum information, like email sender's name and the subject, so that I just need to look at my lockscreen to know if there is anything important.

It really shows how powerful widgets can be when applied properly.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
For me at least :D.

I have the widget on my lockscreen and also my homescreen. In combination with Lightflow, I found that I did not need notifications any more. Other than text messages, all other notifications are turned off. Plus I can reply to text messages from right within the widget, even from the lockscreen, if I choose to enable that feature.

On my lockscreen, I have set the widget to just show just minimum information, like email sender's name and the subject, so that I just need to look at my lockscreen to know if there is anything important.

It really shows how powerful widgets can be when applied properly.

Thanks for the info I might just have to give a try

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Just checked out the free version just to see how I liked it. Seems cool, but does it have to be there when you hit the sleep wake button? I would like to put it on the home page of my lock screen widgets.

The are two options here to add it to the lock screen. The first is within the app. If you tick "Add to Lock Screen" , it sort of takes over the lock screen. I would not recommend that.

Instead, leave the check box unchecked and add it to your lock screen like you would add any other lockscreen widget.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366991718706.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366991718706.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 114

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
The are two options here to add it to the lock screen. The first is within the app. If you tick "Add to Lock Screen" , it sort of takes over the lock screen. I would not recommend that.

Instead, leave the check box unchecked and add it to your lock screen like you would add any other lockscreen widget.

Cool thanks that is awesome.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

Yup! The paid one was worth it. I only started using it this year after seeing someone talk about it on MR. Problem is that if I didn't stumble upon it on these forums, I probably would never have found it. But it is a great app.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I've got tune in radio pro and can pause and use the bar Along the top to scratch backwards with full pause/10 second replay record and stop.

Perhaps its a limitation of the free Android version?

Yeah, another poster determined those features aren't available in the free Android version--shame because they are part of the free iOS version.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Yeah, another poster determined those features aren't available in the free Android version--shame because they are part of the free iOS version.

I did install the app on my iPhone and confirmed this too (I'll stick with the free version on iOS because of this, with it playing in the background the iAds don't affect things at all)!

Very odd that the free app on iOS has more functionality than the Android version, but it's their prerogative.

Seems to be missing from the Windows Phone app too. :(
wpss20rxr.png

slu

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
So it has been a few days...

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. Every single one was helpful and I really appreciate that this thread has stayed constructive.

I now know that I will be sticking with Android. After getting used to Android this week, I have come to the conclusion that for how I use a phone, iOS and Android are basically the same. Most everything is available for both platforms and once you get used to things being done differently, there aren't many issues.

Initially, I said widgets seem to be a gimmick, but this was until I discovered lock screen widgets. These are an outstanding feature. Especially once I installed "Notifications Widget" as recommended previously in the thread.

Gmail works fine for me. I have my other email address in Kaiten, which I find to be just OK, but I don't use it much, so I don't care.

I like the way my photos workflow goes now. I upload everything to Google+, which is kinda like my photostream, and dropbox. Pics and video get automatically imported to iPhoto and removed from dropbox. To me this is an improvement as I don't need to plug in my phone to transfer videos. Snapseed is fine for on phone photo editing.

Right now, my battery life is pretty poor. I can't make it through the day without charging. I do think I am "overusing" it because it is my new toy and I have all sorts of stuff running, so I am optimistic that with some adjustments to usage and settings I will be generally able to get a day's usage.

I have still been being conservative with apps and only downloading them when I need them, and so far so good basically. I do think app quality is, in general, better on iOS, but it is slightly better. I have no problems with the Play store. Works fine for me.

I still think I prefer browsing on iOS, but I am trying different browsers and I am getting there. My main issue with Chrome is that it is difficult to access bookmarks with one hand. Dolphin does this well, but browsing is a bit flaky for me. Trying Firefox now, which is my main browser on my Mac.

Music is fine for me. I didn't use the stock iOS app. I used a 3rd party app to play from Google Music, so the Play app suits me just fine. I wish Tune-In had the pause feature, but I can just get the Pro version.

I'd really like to use Google Wallet, but I haven't yet found anywhere I can use it.

And finally, I really enjoy the speed of the phone and the size of the screen. My hand has gotten used to the wider phone and now when I hold my wife's iPhone, it seems tiny. The speed improvements over the iPhone 4 are huge, but that was to be expected.

Overall, for me the Nexus 4 is a really good phone.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. Every single one was helpful and I really appreciate that this thread has stayed constructive.

I now know that I will be sticking with Android. After getting used to Android this week, I have come to the conclusion that for how I use a phone, iOS and Android are basically the same. Most everything is available for both platforms and once you get used to things being done differently, there aren't many issues.

Initially, I said widgets seem to be a gimmick, but this was until I discovered lock screen widgets. These are an outstanding feature. Especially once I installed "Notifications Widget" as recommended previously in the thread.

Gmail works fine for me. I have my other email address in Kaiten, which I find to be just OK, but I don't use it much, so I don't care.

I like the way my photos workflow goes now. I upload everything to Google+, which is kinda like my photostream, and dropbox. Pics and video get automatically imported to iPhoto and removed from dropbox. To me this is an improvement as I don't need to plug in my phone to transfer videos. Snapseed is fine for on phone photo editing.

Right now, my battery life is pretty poor. I can't make it through the day without charging. I do think I am "overusing" it because it is my new toy and I have all sorts of stuff running, so I am optimistic that with some adjustments to usage and settings I will be generally able to get a day's usage.

I have still been being conservative with apps and only downloading them when I need them, and so far so good basically. I do think app quality is, in general, better on iOS, but it is slightly better. I have no problems with the Play store. Works fine for me.

I still think I prefer browsing on iOS, but I am trying different browsers and I am getting there. My main issue with Chrome is that it is difficult to access bookmarks with one hand. Dolphin does this well, but browsing is a bit flaky for me. Trying Firefox now, which is my main browser on my Mac.

Music is fine for me. I didn't use the stock iOS app. I used a 3rd party app to play from Google Music, so the Play app suits me just fine. I wish Tune-In had the pause feature, but I can just get the Pro version.

I'd really like to use Google Wallet, but I haven't yet found anywhere I can use it.

And finally, I really enjoy the speed of the phone and the size of the screen. My hand has gotten used to the wider phone and now when I hold my wife's iPhone, it seems tiny. The speed improvements over the iPhone 4 are huge, but that was to be expected.

Overall, for me the Nexus 4 is a really good phone.

I agree about the browser. Ever since the galaxy nexus stock browser I have been looking for something like it. It was by fare the best mobile browser I have used. My note 2 has a pretty good one to, but still that galaxy nexus one took the cake. If anyone has the apk for please post. Chrome is not my favorite and just use it cause that is what is stock. I have never really liked dolphin that much. Again if you need anything just ask.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Glad to hear you enjoy your Nexus 4! It's the first Android phone that had me switch from iOS without looking back.

For my browser, I really enjoy Boat Browser. It's very simple and one of the only other browsers that has a scroll-to-top (and bottom) feature.

Google Wallet can be used essentially anywhere with a PayPass logo. I've always had the tendency to avoid trying to use it because my Amex card has an RFID chip that NEVER works.

For me, I did think the battery life was quite bad in the beginning, but in the past few weeks I've experienced much better results. Either my phone usage changed or CyanogenMod incorporated some battery saving features.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I am going to rebuy a nexus 4.

I missed it since selling it. I was looking forward to the One and S4 and then i realized two things after constant research and an in person trial of One at a store:

I cannot like touchwizz no matter what. Sure the features are nice but the whole UI reminds me of the samsung wave which runs bada. No difference. Those huge blocky buttons that samsung uses are a reminder of 2.3 and pre 2.3 era, ugh. No thanks. Nova launcher can fix my home screen, it cannot fix the rest of the UI. It cannot fix the stutter that was non existent on the nexus in my experience at least, and custom ROMs only help for so long.

Sense is better but, it is still no stock and the biggest issue is HTC is favoring low light performance of camera more over the regular all around use. So no go for me.

My brother recently got a nexus 4 and i find myself wanting to play with it more and more and he started complaining lol. Stock is just too good to leave for S-features or ultra pixels :(

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I am going to rebuy a nexus 4.

I missed it since selling it. I was looking forward to the One and S4 and then i realized two things after constant research and an in person trial of One at a store:

I cannot like touchwizz no matter what. Sure the features are nice but the whole UI reminds me of the samsung wave which runs bada. No difference. Those huge blocky buttons that samsung uses are a reminder of 2.3 and pre 2.3 era, ugh. No thanks. Nova launcher can fix my home screen, it cannot fix the rest of the UI. It cannot fix the stutter that was non existent on the nexus in my experience at least, and custom ROMs only help for so long.

Sense is better but, it is still no stock and the biggest issue is HTC is favoring low light performance of camera more over the regular all around use. So no go for me.

My brother recently got a nexus 4 and i find myself wanting to play with it more and more and he started complaining lol. Stock is just too good to leave for S-features or ultra pixels :(

I currently have a Nexus 4, Im thinking about getting the GS4 tomorrow, Im hoping with Nova Launcher or something I can avoid most of the Touchwiz.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I currently have a Nexus 4, Im thinking about getting the GS4 tomorrow, Im hoping with Nova Launcher or something I can avoid most of the Touchwiz.

I hope there is a touchwiz based rom that can change the look to complete stock android. I have a seen a couple of those for the s3 and I wouldn't mind running one if it took out all the bloat and added aosp like feel.

Still, touchwiz UI always fails to impress me. The features (not talking about the S-marketed ones) like wifi direct, better stock apps etc are nice to have.

I wonder how long till we see a really good nexus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.