Carrier Switching to T-Mobile - Got some questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anaqvi786, Feb 2, 2015.

1. anaqvi786 macrumors regular

Hey everyone!

I am about to switch my whole family to T-Mobile, mainly since Verizon is a little too expensive for 3 lines. Before doing so, I do have some questions I wanted to ask:

1. How much are taxes when compared to Verizon? After looking up T-Mobile support it looks like $3 ish per line in the state of MD but I wonder if that's the case or not. Verizon said the same thing for us but it's costing us $7 for taxes.

2. Are there any good discounts going on for service or device charges? I tried retailmenot but I didn't get too much results for an iPhone 6.

Thanks a lot everyone!

2. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

1) I use T-Mobile pre-paid now and the $80 unlimited is about $85 after tax in FL at least. When I had Verizon years ago it was post paid, which does make a difference and as with AT&T who I used more recently. Was in the $17 range or so.

2) Depends on your situation. Sometimes through your job, say if your paychecks are processed by ADP. They may have a percentage discount. I haven't looked much into it beyond that so not sure.

3. steveh552 macrumors regular

Cant answer number 1.

I have heard they are doing away with employee discounts. Honestly, I think they are priced nearly perfect for what I get. I have the two lines with unlimited talk/text and unlimited LTE for $100, they tell me as long as I remain a customer that plan will always be there for us.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

My prior T-Mobile plan was $70.00 and I wound up averaging $82.00 per bill, the difference is the taxes and fees. Long Island, NY.

5. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Taxes are roughly the same between carriers, so you'd likely pay $7 for T-Mobile as well give or take.

6. noobinator macrumors 601

I know when I signed up for the unlimited everything plan for 2 lines for $100 it said employee discounts not valid on this plan.

7. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Correct, T-Mobile got rid of employer discounts.

8. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I have prepaid with TMo, I pay $60 monthly. No taxes, just plain $60. state is California.
    I don't think you'll find any discount for iPhone 6/+. I paid unsubsidized price for mine. Maybe next iPhone cycle, you'll start seeing some discount.
    Just make sure you have coverage on places you go most.

9. anaqvi786 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot everyone for the replies. I really appreciate them.

I am actually going to be using the only employer discount that's even available right now (that 15% off for the DC government). I am hoping for 3 lines it will bring the cost down.

We're also getting 2 iPhone 6's financed with 0 down since thats the only option for online purchase.

After doing some calculations, the bill turned out to be about $130-140 ish including taxes.

Not bad for 3 lines with basically unlimited everything.

Coverage shouldn't be an issue for where we are located as well.

Really appreciate all the replies and I thank you all for the help.