Switching to T-Mobile on Launch day - How long does it take?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jzmail, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jzmail macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I checked the first couple pages of the forum and didn't find anything, so here it goes.

I'm planning to take advantage T-Mobile's offer to pay my ETF (early termination fee) to switch from AT&T. I have 2 iPhone 6+ scheduled to arrive tomorrow on launch day, and I was wondering how long would it take for AT&T to send the unlock code to me so that I can use it on T-Mobile? Can I pay off the ETF right away at the AT&T store? Or do I have to wait for 2 weeks for AT&T to deliver the unlock code to me while getting stuck on my old old Nokia...

Thanks!

2. Mars Is Waiting macrumors member

Mars Is Waiting

T-Mobile re-imburses for your ETF. You pay for it, they give you the money back on a Visa card. At least thats what they told me for my Verizon contract. I don't know what you mean by 2 weeks to get an unlock code. You just call the 1-800 number and say you're going out of the country and they'll set you up.

3. jzmail thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response, the 2 weeks I mentioned is the time for AT&T to send me the unlock code (I'm guessing it's 2 weeks). Or is it instant for AT&T to give me an unlock code once I pay for the ETF?

4. BrandonHacks macrumors regular

BrandonHacks

It's not a code that they provide.. They will send the IMEI to apple servers and after an itunes restore or sometimes even just plugging in the phone will give a popup that the phone was unlocked.

5. jzmail thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks BrandonHacks, so theoretically I'll be able to use my phone tomorrow on T-Mobile?! that's great news!

6. mainomega macrumors 6502

I'm preatty sure ATT require you stay at least 14 days or they can request either the phone back or charge you the full price if you keep it ?

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Yep what he said.