Switching to tethered JB. Do you keep app data?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by kriista1234, Nov 24, 2010.

1. kriista1234 macrumors 6502

So I'm thinking of switching to the tethered 4.2.1 until a full one is figured out, but I'm curious what happens to apps that have data stored.

If it boots up into normal (un-JBed) mode, and I have apps that need the JB to work, do they just sit on the iPad until it's JBed again, or does it get erased?

Same goes for when updated to a new JB. I've always just started as a new device each time, but I don't want to deal with setting things up from scratch every time again.

2. koollectablz macrumors 6502

Tethered JB means that if you reboot away from a computer it doesn't actually boot at all it just sits at the apple logo teasing you with its uselessness.

3. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apparently it's not that way with the new redsn0w. If you have no crazy tweaks going on, it boots up fine, just into a non-JBed state.

From the iPhone Dev Team:

“Tethered” does not mean you cannot boot at all without PC/Mac assistance. If you have not installed any tweaks that hook into important programs like SpringBoard or CommCenter, your device will actually boot. However, jailbreak programs like Cydia won’t work (and Cydia may still have a white icon). Also, certain built-in apps that had to be moved by Cydia will fail (Safari being the most noticeable example).

4. koollectablz macrumors 6502

5. pensphreak macrumors newbie

Does this mean that Safari will not work if you reboot the iPad or does it not work if you've done something custom to Safari?

6. kriista1234 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that confused me too. I'm guessing Cydia moves Safari when you install it maybe?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, most of the more useful JB apps, like SBSettings, Winterboard, etc, do "hook into important programs like SpringBoard or CommCenter," so I suspect most people who jailbreak will sooner rather than later find that they've installed something that causes their device to not boot at all.

8. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Ok, this is what I want to be clear on for the tethered jailbreak:

If I am in the middle of the ocean and have to reboot my iPad, everything will work except for cydia and any cydia apps, and any apps that require appsync.

Correct?

9. zunairryk macrumors regular

And safari browser :(

10. zunairryk macrumors regular

Trust me you will end up installing some app that will not let the iPad to boot up unless connected to computer