Switching to the finder...any easier way to do this?

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
279
0
I love to open a new finder window when I am in the middle of doing something in another application (ie, reading an email, listening to a song, etc)

In windows, I used to always just do "windows key+e"...it was a perfect key combo...it worked all over the place, and I really loved it. I could always check for a file at any time I needed.

In OS X, I have had to take a new tact. I usually move the mouse cursor to a open space on my desktop (which then changes the top menu to Finder) from there, I use apple+N key combo.

Is there a better/more elegant/easier way to do this?

I would LOVE to have a little button somewhere on the screen to open a new finder window.

Thanks in advance
 

CyberB0b

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
101
0
Speaking of shortcuts... (sorry for hijacking your thread) is there a way to minimize all the windows down into the dock? In windows it's window's key + d to show the desktop, but it's more than just desktop, it's minimizing all the windows to the task bar. I know in OS X you can show the desktop, but can you minimize all at once too?
 

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
279
0
CyberB0b said:
Speaking of shortcuts... (sorry for hijacking your thread) is there a way to minimize all the windows down into the dock? In windows it's window's key + d to show the desktop, but it's more than just desktop, it's minimizing all the windows to the task bar. I know in OS X you can show the desktop, but can you minimize all at once too?

ooooohhhh! I have wanted to be able to do this as well...forever!

I have been told many times to just "hide" the windows, but that sucks since you dont get them all minimized to the dock. The option I have been using is to make the lower right corner of my screen as a hot corner which hides all windows...

not as elegant as the windows way, but it works for most things.
 

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
1,836
0
Accoville, WV
IMO, hiding the windows is much better than minimizing. When I'm not using a program, I just hide it until I need it again. In Windows, you minimize everything and it gets REALLY crowded fast. That's just another one of the major annoyances in Windows.
 

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
1,929
1
USA! USA!
Just to add...

Under Finder Preferences there is an option to select what folder is opened by default when you open a new finder window. I have mine set to Applications.
 

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
1,836
0
Accoville, WV
mcarnes said:
Just to add...

Under Finder Preferences there is an option to select what folder is opened by default when you open a new finder window. I have mine set to Applications.
Wow, I had no idea that option existed! I doubt I'll change the default on mine, but it's still a cool option to have. Thanks for the tip!
 

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
1,929
1
USA! USA!
FadeToBlack said:
Wow, I had no idea that option existed! I doubt I'll change the default on mine, but it's still a cool option to have. Thanks for the tip!
Sure. And don't forget Finder, View, Customize Toolbar. Gotta have those new folder, delete, get info, and path buttons. Here's where I put mine, BYMMV:
 

Attachments

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
1,836
0
Accoville, WV
mcarnes said:
Sure. And don't forget Finder, View, Customize Toolbar. Gotta have those new folder, delete, get info, and path buttons. Here's where I put mine, BYMMV:
Yeah, I already knew about that one, but I hadn't customized my toolbar on my Mac mini yet, so I went ahead and customized it.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
qtip919 said:
I love to open a new finder window when I am in the middle of doing something in another application (ie, reading an email, listening to a song, etc)

In windows, I used to always just do "windows key+e"...it was a perfect key combo...it worked all over the place, and I really loved it. I could always check for a file at any time I needed.

In OS X, I have had to take a new tact. I usually move the mouse cursor to a open space on my desktop (which then changes the top menu to Finder) from there, I use apple+N key combo.

Is there a better/more elegant/easier way to do this?

I would LOVE to have a little button somewhere on the screen to open a new finder window.

Thanks in advance
Here is an AppleScript application that you can drop in the /Applications folder and then, in the Dock. Click once on the icon in the Dock and you have a new Finder window. You can probably make a keyboard shortcut to call it but I didn't have any success with that.
 

Attachments

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
279
0
mcarnes said:
Just to add...

Under Finder Preferences there is an option to select what folder is opened by default when you open a new finder window. I have mine set to Applications.
This is a perfect tip! thanks!

bousozoku said:
Here is an AppleScript application that you can drop in the /Applications folder and then, in the Dock. Click once on the icon in the Dock and you have a new Finder window. You can probably make a keyboard shortcut to call it but I didn't have any success with that.
killer!

If I can get the keyboard shortcut to somehow work no matter which app I am in, I will be in perfect bliss :)
 

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
3,070
70
Am I the only one who keeps multiple finder windows open at all times? It's not like they're in the way being behind whatever other ten things you have open. I don't see the point of closing a non-spatial browser. It'd be like closing itunes every time you switch to another app. I just leave them there all the time so I can apple+tab to them instantly.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
decksnap said:
Am I the only one who keeps multiple finder windows open at all times? It's not like they're in the way being behind whatever other ten things you have open. I don't see the point of closing a non-spatial browser. It'd be like closing itunes every time you switch to another app. I just leave them there all the time so I can apple+tab to them instantly.
I keep one window open, pointed to /Applications and several folders in my sidebar.

Generally the only extra window I need is a removable drive such as photos from my camera.
 

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
791
1
greer SC
decksnap said:
Am I the only one who keeps multiple finder windows open at all times? It's not like they're in the way being behind whatever other ten things you have open. I don't see the point of closing a non-spatial browser. It'd be like closing itunes every time you switch to another app. I just leave them there all the time so I can apple+tab to them instantly.
10 things open?!! Are you kidding? If I had 10 things open on my computer (windows, me no less! talk about ancient!) I crash my computer. Tax time can not get here fast enough for me!!!!!!
 

Stacc9

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2005
4
0
I second the motion for quicksilver. I have my internet browser(Camino) set to command-option 1 and finder set to command-option 2. It's great if I don't want to use command-tab to sift through the 6 or 7 programs I always have running.
 

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
3,070
70
savanahrose said:
10 things open?!! Are you kidding? If I had 10 things open on my computer (windows, me no less! talk about ancient!) I crash my computer. Tax time can not get here fast enough for me!!!!!!
I just mean that I see little point in hiding things, closing things, etc. If I've got ten apps open, I'd much rather leave them all up and just apple+tab to bring the one I want to use to the front. Putting things down to the dock and having to bring them back up again, or hiding and having to unhide them, is just extra work. And so, with the finder, the quickest way to use it is to always keep it open, or even multiple instances of it open.
 

smeegs

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2002
16
0
Edinburgh/Belfast
CyberB0b said:
Speaking of shortcuts... (sorry for hijacking your thread) is there a way to minimize all the windows down into the dock? In windows it's window's key + d to show the desktop, but it's more than just desktop, it's minimizing all the windows to the task bar. I know in OS X you can show the desktop, but can you minimize all at once too?
To minimise all the windows in the frontmost application, it's Option(Alt)+Command+M
 

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
791
1
greer SC
Hey decksnap, I knew it was an exaceration??(wrong spelling). I just couldn't help myself. But honestly, tax time can not get here fast enough. I want a mac so bad it is just eating at me. Haha, sound like a sicko huh? truthfully, I am not. I just know what I want, but can not get it as of yet. ;) :eek: