Switching to the Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alksion, Feb 29, 2012.

  1. alksion macrumors 68000

    alksion

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles County
    #1
    When is the Mac Pro 2012 coming? I want it now and I can't wait... Lol.. :rolleyes:

    Anyways, I have a 2009 i5 2.66GHz, 16GB RAM, Brand New 1TB HDD, Stock GPU, 27" iMac as well as a 2010 C2D 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, Stock GPU, White Unibody MacBook as my two core computers.

    I have been thinking of upgrading to the the new (Ivy Bridge) iMac that should be released by or before June 2012. With that said, I haven't found much use with my MacBook as of lately and have thought about selling it.

    Again, with that said, it has lead me to ponder the thought of purchasing a Mac Pro instead. Selling my MacBook and iMac along side with some extra cash that I have should get me a pretty solid machine.

    I'm not asking when the Mac Pro will come out or if it will make my life perfect, I just want to hear other opinions on what people think about me doing this. I do tons of heavy video editing and a lot of AE work just to let you know as well as I have considered making a gaming PC just to play games. Because of that, I have thought that a MacPro might suit me better.

    I know most of you will probably be bias because this is a MacPro section, but please just give me straight forward advice, it's greatly appreciated.
     
  2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

    CaptainChunk

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #2
    Well, if you think your workflow is beginning to require extra raw horsepower and expandability, there's no reason not to consider a Mac Pro. Quad-core iMacs are very capable machines out of the box, but obviously, they have limits: 16GB memory ceiling, no internal drive expansion, no GPU expansion, no PCIe expansion, etc. And Thunderbolt in its current state will only get you so far...

    I went from a G5 tower to a 20" white C2D iMac to a Mac Pro. I used the iMac as an interim Intel machine when the G5 was no longer cutting it CPU-wise (and I couldn't afford a Mac Pro just yet). But then my workflow started getting more complicated and I needed more power/expandability, hence my Mac Pro purchase back in 2009.

    But first determine whether buying a Mac Pro is a justifiable purchase, especially if you're considering selling your existing Macs to generate some of the necessary funds. I sold my iMac to buy another monitor and more RAM, but kept my MBP for the road.

    Whether or not you should wait for an updated Mac Pro, that's up to you. My 2008 machine still serves me quite well. The current 2010 machines are still quite powerful.
     
  3. alksion thread starter macrumors 68000

    alksion

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles County
    #3
    Thanks for the reply. I am certainly going to wait for a refresh of all Macs before I make a purchase. My machines are quite capable right now! :D

    But, regardless, just the things you mentioned has me leaning in the Mac Pro direction.
     

Share This Page