Switching to the Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GraphicOutput, Aug 28, 2007.

1. GraphicOutput macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I'm going to be switching to a Mac very soon (just as soon as I can find someone to buy my Desktop PC off of me!), and I thought I'd come here for some last bits of buying advice.

To catch you up: I have a Desktop PC, as I mentioned before, that I built last year. It's got wonderfully powerful hardware in it that I configured specifically for gaming, but I've found that I don't take full advantage of it very much anymore, as school and work (involving graphic design) have come to dominate my life. As such, I've gotten tired of all the errors and hic-ups I run into with Windows while running CS3 for work, and I decided back in May that I'd be switching to a Mac as soon as I could afford it.

And here I am. I'll probably have enough for the new base-end iMac in a week or two, and I'm left deciding whether or not to save just a liiiiiittle bit longer and get the 2.4GHz model with the 2600 Pro in it. The only reason I'm hesitating is because I still do play a game or two, and I'm wondering if the 2400XT in the base-end is enough power. I'm mostly only going to be playing Half-Life 2 and TF2 (when it comes out, that is) on it through bootcamp.

So after my long winded rambling, I guess my question is this: Has anyone had any experience with gaming on the 2400XT, and if so, what was it like?

Thanks so much for the help.

2. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

I'm not a gamer so I can't answer your question. I did however want to say ... Congrats on the decision to make the switch :D

3. GraphicOutput thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Anybody else have any experience with mild gaming on the 2400XT?

4. GraphicOutput thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent news. I was worried I wouldn't be able to take part in those fun Pixar-esque graphics.
    Thanks!

Edit: Inspecting the TF2 link closer, I realized that that's actually the same exact question I asked on Yahoo Answers. I've never even been to that forum... Does Yahoo Answers have some weird feature I've never heard of? :p