Switching to Tmo: need new iPhone for 1900 MHz support?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I have an unlocked iPhone 5, model A1428.

Apple says it supports LTE bands 2, 4, 5, and 17: https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

I saw that Tmo has a new coverage map and that there's growing 1900 MHz LTE coverage in previously EDGE only routes. It's probably going to be enough coverage that I could leave AT&T for Tmo.

I though my iPhone 5 would support the 1900 MHz Tmo LTE, since Band 2 is 1900 MHz, but the people on Howard Forums say that Tmo's 1900 MHz is actually Band 25:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1855857

Tmo's website says the CDMA iPhone 5 w' Band 25 works on their 1900 MHz LTE. It doesn't have Band 4(AWS) though so it doesn't work on most of their 1700/2100 LTE.

Is Tmo's 1900 MHz really only Band 25?

Anyone know if there's any possibility my iPhone 5 works on 1900 MHz Tmo? I can buy a new phone if necessary but I'd rather keep my existing phone if possible.

2. IrishVixen, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015

IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Can't answer your question precisely, but had a similar situation when I brought my unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 to T-Mobile. Mine was not one of the ones from later in the model year that had the additional bands to support TM, and I was told by several sources that I wouldn't be able to get LTE speeds on it.

I figured it was worth a try, at least. Instead of doing TM's test drive with their phone, I opted to pick up a SIM during one of their sales and activated it on their pay as you go setup. And I found myself pulling down LTE at literally four times the speed I had on AT&T. I was also able to test what kind of coverage I got with my existing phone over the areas I typically go, and found it was excellent.

Moral of the story: you might be better off experimenting on your own than listening to the Internet on this one. I switched a week later, and the 5 ran very well even without those extra bands until I replaced it with the 6 so I could benefit from wifi calling.

3. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Problem is that the iPhone 5 introduced a midcycle production change when Apple added T-Mobile as an official carrier. The early production GSM models do not support T-Mobile's main LTE band, while the later production models do. Anything designated as a T-Mobile iPhone will support that band. Other GSM models (particularly those designated for AT&T) are more of a crap shoot.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sell it and get one that fully supports your carrier.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

It depends on when you got your iPhone 5.

If you got one before Spring of 2012 when Apple released the AWS compatible A1428, then you'll be missing AWS HSPA+. It can still get Band 2 and 4 LTE (both of their LTE bands).

If you got the one that released after Spring 2012 then it will support AWS HSPA+ as well as Band 2 and Band 4 LTE.

So depending on which one you have, the only thing you might be missing is AWS HSPA+. The iPhone 5 has both of T-Mobile's LTE bands.

6. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

I bought mine in late May 2013. I'm not so concerned about HSPA+ on AWS as the new Tmo rollout appears to skip HSPA+ and goes right to 1900 MHz LTE.

The problem is I don't know which 1900 MHz band Tmo uses: 2 or 25. If it's 2, I'm good to go, but Tmo's website doesn't say.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's Band 2. So that means your iPhone 5 will work.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should be concerned about hspa + coverage or else when you're away from tmobiles spotty LTE coverage you'd be stuck on 2G turtle speeds.

9. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! I think you're correct on that.

After reading some more on Howard Forums, I found a thread with lots of screen shots of network field test app showing T-Mobile LTE band 2: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1848873

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If you still have the box, it says explicitly which bands it supports.

11. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

That wasn't his question. He thought initially it was a different band other than band 2.