Carrier switching to tmobile...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Afbar1114, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

I am looking to get away from Verizon because they are charging way to much and I haven't been having the greatest service with them. I inquired about the Tmobile un carrier where they can pay my ETF fees. The only thing is I had a tablet line which is $180 to cancel. I would also need to pay $190 for the first month as a down payment on the device. I would also need to trade in my 5s for $300 and then i would need to pay $90 a month un till the phone is paid. I could take the $300 and pay the ETF on the tablet line and then put the other $120 toward the phone. My total ETF's are $470 it seems to be cheaper just to cancel verizon and bring my 5s to tmobile. Will my VZW 5s work on tmobile? I am looking to see what is best here.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The LTE will work, but I don't think you'll get GSM from the 5S since its CDMA, though I could be wrong.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Talk to someone who has T-Mobile where you want to use it. If you read these forums, you see the post from many people who switched to T-Mobile and then had to switch back because they were getting terrible coverage. T-Mobile is great (and cheap) if you have the coverage where you need it. Otherwise, I would probably consider switching to AT&T if Verizon is too expensive.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

You're 5S will work perfectly on Tmobile. The AT&T Tmobile and Verizon models all use the same bands.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Even GSM?

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes GSM too.

7. ashleymc2008 macrumors newbie

I recently switched to tmobile from Verizon. I get great lte, unlimited data, and no drop calls. I don't know how it would work if you travel because i dont travel. If I were you I would do a coverage check before switching

8. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't really travel and I looked at the one place that I do and it's covered.

9. bhayes444, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I think I may be doing the same soon, but coming from ATT, not Verizon. We have two T-Mobile iPads right now and the data coverage is better in our area than ATT. Between my wife and I we would save quite a bit going over to T-Mobile.

Now I am just trying to decide whether or not to go the ETF route or just wait until the ATT contracts are up in September.

11. keitarou macrumors 6502

Why not just wait a little longer until iPhone 6 comes out and then do the trade in and ETF penalty. With a new phone, it would make sense to not keep your 5S but instead trade it in to get ETF paid and also buy a new phone. Only 5 more months.

12. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you think they will still have the offer then?

13. keitarou macrumors 6502

Probably. But if you hear that they will get rid of it on a certain date, you can always do what you were planning on doing today at that time. And your ETF would be lower by that time anyways.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The verizon 5S is fully unlocked for GSM use.
    HSPA+ and LTE will work fine with Tmobile and AT&T.

15. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I pay my ETF with verizon will they be able to block my phone?
    ETA: Verizon needs to match pricing. They are getting to be to much money now.

16. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

No. Your phone will work on tmobile just fine.

17. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am trying to think what is best. I may just wait another few months until my tablet line is up and then switch and only pay about 220 in ETF's

18. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Of course verizon is going to tell you that. They don't want you to leave. It works.

20. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I made the switch. It'll work just fine.

21. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

switching to tmobile...

Ok thanks. I don't want them to lock it at all. Did you pay the eft fee?

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My wife switched from Verizon to AT&T with her iPhone 5s. It works perfectly fine and it is completely unlocked.

The T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon iPhones are all identical hardware. The carriers themselves impose locks and restrict you from using other networks, but the Verizon model is completely carrier unlocked and will work on any of major carriers(except Sprint).

23. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

It was definitely worth it, for the price at least. I switched w/ a 5, and the only gripe is that the 5 doesn't support the same LTE bands (not the case w/ the 5S where all US versions support all the major US carriers), and HSPA+ is noticeably less reliable and fast =/

24. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks. Made the switch. I'll be saving like $60 a month.

25. Mylo130, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

Mylo130 macrumors member

Mylo130

Just my .02 about T-Mobile. The prices are low, but you get what you pay for. I live in Atlanta, and where the LTE works it's blazing fast. Even the fallback 4G (3G) is pretty fast. The problem is when you walk into a building, or hit the road on a trip. Their frequencies are too high for any useful building penetration, and when you hit the road and get a few miles outside of a metro area you quickly go to Edge speeds or No Service.
    By no means telling you what to do, but I dumped T-mobile and went with Straight Talk. The speeds are just as fast, and for $46.52 after junk fees and taxes, the price is pretty much equal to my former T-mobile plan. It uses AT&T towers and service, so the coverage and building penetration are great in comparison. I get 2.5 gigs of full throttle data (same as I had on T-mobile), and unlimited talk and text. Just food for thought.

Just remembered that a buddy who had Verizon took his 5S to Straight Talk as well.