Switching to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starbuckpga, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Starbuckpga macrumors regular

Just a quick question for the experts. Verizon seems to work much better in my area for calls and data than AT&T. I've already tested it and tried it out, just now need to make the switch.

However I am with AT&T and bought the new iPhone 4S roughly 2.5 weeks ago. Before I bought the phone and was not in a contract at the time. I also paid the full price for the phone, which was the $449 for the 16gb phone.

Is their a penalty for me leaving now that I bought a new phone? Even at the full price? I fear that when I bought the 4S, I signed an agreement that locked me in for another two years. If so, don't I have 30 days to return the phone and cancel my service?

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Probably best to contact AT&T and confirm with them. If you had signed up for another 2 years, the phone should've been $199, not $449. You're likely not locked in for another 2 years but I'd still recommend contacting AT&T to confirm.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Something does not add up. $449 is the Early Upgrade price for the iPhone 4S, which is what you pay if you are in contract but not yet eligible for fully subsidized upgrade. If you did an Early Upgrade ($199 + $250) then you DID extend your contract by two years.

"Full price" is $649. If you paid $649, then you did not extend your contract and can cancel (assuming your original contract from your prior phone has run its term).

Also, you can't use a phone from AT&T on Verizon, so... if you're going to switch, you need to change phones.

4. Starbuckpga thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I am aware I can't use my previous iPhone 4S on the Verizon network, which is fine and why I indicated that if I took it back within my 30 period, it would null and void my contract that I had signed when I bought the new iPhone 4S just over two weeks ago.

And your right, a simple call to AT&T is the best way to get my answers, but I feel they will just tell me I'm SOL and that they have me for two years. Nothing against AT&T, just the service with Verizon is better in my area and I need reliable service in my office for calls and texts with the family.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I wan't real clear on one point I was trying to make, had it in my head but neglected to put it in the post :p

You said that you paid $449. That's the AT&T "Early Upgrade" price for someone who is in a current contract and not yet eligible for full upgrade. That would imply that you did in fact have a contract that was still in force 2-1/2 weeks ago, and you extended it by 2 years. You could return the iPhone within 30 days and that would reverse the extension, but your original contract would still be in force and you would have to pay the Early Termination Fee (ETF). Depending on when your contract began, the ETF is either $350 minus $10 for every month completed, or $150 minus $4 for every month completed.

If the $449 was a typo and you actually paid $649, then you paid "Full Retail" and did not extend your contract (if any). If this is the case and you were indeed "not in a contract" when you got the 4S, then you can return the 4S for a refund and cancel your AT&T service without ETF.

If you return the 4S under either scenario above you'll have a $35 restocking fee.