switching users on imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by melissarae, Aug 23, 2008.

1. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

a couple of days ago my itunes on my user on my imac stopped recognizing my iphone. it would recognize other iphones, not mine. so i made a new user on my imac with admin privileges and plugged in my iphone and it showed up!! so my question now is how hard is it to transfer everything from one user to another? like mail for instance. all my emails are in my "user1" where as i've set up my gmail account in "user2" but none of my old mail is there. i was able to get my itunes library to copy over, so that's not a big deal... so basically would it just involve me copying my files across "shared" folders on to "user2" documents? then once everything is copied i can delete "user1"? but i don't want to do that until i know for sure that i can get all my old emails transfered over and all other files.

sorry if these are dumb questions, i'm just kinda annoyed that i have to do this and i don't want to loose any data in the process.

anyone have any other better suggestions?

anyone?

2. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Just restore and sync your phone.

That's what I had to do when it did that to my iPod touch and it worked fine.
    I had to restore it with another computer though, and then I went back to my laptop and synced it.
    Time consuming, but worth it.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

restore and sync is probably the best option.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

could possibly try to trash your iTunes plist file too. See if that helps.