Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
I have a strange problem. When I use fast user switching, and switch to another account, everything is fine... But when I switch back... All color profiles are gone!

On top of that, my screen gets a blue tint. The only way to fix it is to restart...

Any guesses as to why and how to fix it? :(

Thanks

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
blaskillet4 said:
I have a strange problem. When I use fast user switching, and switch to another account, everything is fine... But when I switch back... All color profiles are gone!

On top of that, my screen gets a blue tint. The only way to fix it is to restart...

Any custom colour profiles will automatically turn off whenever you have more than one user logged in using fast user switching. Logging out all users and logging in again with only one user should re-enable the profile, or at least allow you to select the profile to enable it.

This issue with colour profiles conflicting with fast user switching is a known problem with OS X since fast user switching was introduced. THis problem is well documented on the web with many people (including myself) sending feedback to Apple about this problem.

As far as I am aware there is no way to fix this problem yet.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
mrichmon said:
Any custom colour profiles will automatically turn off whenever you have more than one user logged in using fast user switching. Logging out all users and logging in again with only one user should re-enable the profile, or at least allow you to select the profile to enable it.

This issue with colour profiles conflicting with fast user switching is a known problem with OS X since fast user switching was introduced. THis problem is well documented on the web with many people (including myself) sending feedback to Apple about this problem.

As far as I am aware there is no way to fix this problem yet.
I'm glad you pointed that out, I wasn't aware of it, but that is crucial in a design firm where you have multiple users. I'll have to remember that.

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
slooksterPSV said:
I'm glad you pointed that out, I wasn't aware of it, but that is crucial in a design firm where you have multiple users. I'll have to remember that.

Yes, it surprised me when I encountered the problem.

If you are not using a hardware screen calibration device you might want to check out SuperCal. I've found that it takes a little more time to use than the default ColorCalibration app in OS X, but it consistently produces more accurate color profiles in my experience. (Unfortunately this doesn't solve the fast user switching problem.)

macsrockmysocks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
I don't have the color changing problem, I have the "wallpaper changing problem". When I fast user switch, my wallpaper changes while it is in the block thingy, and it goes back right when it fully loads onto my file.

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
blaskillet4 said:

Thanks
Same thing here. MBP with standard colour profile. Logging off and back on again does the trick too. OS X just "forgets" about the colour profile (and it even disappears from the list in the Display settings)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.