Switching web and email hosts for a business

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by GanChan, Feb 17, 2014.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

Several years ago I set up my online business presence on Yahoo Small Business, including my domain registration, website, and an email address based on my web domain (info@[domainName.com]). Unfortunately, I find the New Yahoo and the ongoing bugginess of Yahoo Mail so annoying that I've just about ready to pull out the wires, so to speak, and start over. But how does a tech-dumb person do that?

Is there any way for me to get one of my other email providers to seamlessly take over as (info@[domainName.com])? If I own the domain, can I simply set up a new website and email system on a different hosting platform, using the old domain and URL addresses, migrate or proliferate as much data as possible, then close the Yahoo account and keep on truckin'? (I have all the webpage files on my own computer; I could simply FTP them up to the new host.)

What's the best way to do this? If you'll pardon my ignorance. :eek:

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Here's a good article on how to do it. Just have everything in place before forging ahead. Keep domain names and website hosted with separate companies if possible. I keep mine hosted at same provider, so I do not follow my own advice but still recommend separate providers. Never had any issues though being both with same provider.

Good providers will have great tech support to assist you. Should be pretty seamless and it sounds like your site is not to complicated. I was no expert back several years ago and still found it quite easy to do with a little help from the host provider I decided to go with. Just ask provider questions, they will have all the answers.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! It's a shame that I have to do anything, really, but Yahoo Mail has a tendency to just sort of collapse for an hour-plus at a time, which makes it really bad for business....

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have to agree with you there. I have been hosting with the same company since 2000 and have never had an issue of down time. Mind you I pay twice the normal going rate to host with them. But for dependability and great tech support it is more than worth it.

I host several sites and could not afford for any of the sites to be down. My customers would not appreciate it and would most certainly lose business. Look through this sub-forum as there are many threads about good hosting sites. Some are pretty cheap and dependable.

Good luck with your move. Do a little reading up on the subject, get some assistance from your new host and you should easily be able to do it on your own with virtually no downtime.