Switching

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mustang07, Jun 25, 2009.

1. mustang07 macrumors newbie

After a couples of years of using PC's i've decided to make the jump. However, I need help deciding which Macbook Pro to get. I currently have a HP Pavilion dv4t, core 2 duo 2.0, 150 gb hd, 4gb ram. I mainly use the computer for school.

So, I'm currently torn between the 13 inch 2.26 and 2.53. I want to feel the difference of switching to mac. My HP, is pretty fast, it just has too many bugs. I was thinking of getting the 2.26 and just upgrading the ram to 4gb, but how much better is the 2.53? is it worth the extra 300 bucks?

Oh, one more thing, i've only recently heard about SSD and don't know much about it. Is it worth buying? If so, do you know of a place online to buy it cheaper? I don't mind doing the upgrades myself.

Thanks alot everyone.

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

the advantage of SSD is that there are no moving parts so it is more reliable if you were to drop or abuse your computer. Also i believe reading and writing to a SSD is faster. I would say the baseline MBP is a good bet. if you could tell us a little about your computing habits that would help in the selection

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SSD is definitely worth buyings. SSDs are amazingly fast

4. mustang07 thread starter macrumors newbie

I usually just use my computer to do all my school work. I use word, excel, and powerpoint very frequently. Especially powerpoint. Lately i've had to do alot of minor video editing for projects. I also tend to browse the web alot. I also watch dvd's on my computer.

I've actually have dropped my computer a few times, so I definately will look into SSD. Should I just buy it from apple?

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

for this type of use the normal macbook should cut it. that is what i used to use. worked out fine. If you are going to be doing video editing make sure to get a big enough hard drive / SSD because video projects can take up a lot of space. you may want to go with the 4 GB of ram for doing video editing if you are going to have many apps open at the time

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you want to. When buying from 3rd party you have a lot more choices, so I'd buy from 3rd party.