SwitchResX Effect On 2015 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DogCatMSMac, May 24, 2016.

1. DogCatMSMac macrumors member

DogCatMSMac

It appears that to achieve acceptable quality on a high res monitor you should run SwitchResX to increase the refresh rate when using the 2015 base model 13" MBP. Does the MBP become noticeably hotter? Do you think there are any long term negative effects on the MBP?

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

I don't agree on the use of SwitchRexX anymore - this, from a holder of 2 licenses that I no longer use. It was a great utility, until I figured out the main issue was that most DP cables are not DP-compliant - we use DP cables (mDP>DP) that are from either Eizo (supplied with those displays) or Accell (DP "compliant" - not "compatible"). I discovered, by accident after my rMBP crashed due to a hardware failure late last year, that most of the DP cables in my office and home were not DP compliant and this bit isn't just a "Mac thing". The Eizo displays NEVER had problems in my office with Macs or PCs, but none of us never knew why until my Mac's crash. The cables supplied with the Eizo displays conveyed the correct EDID information between display and computer, and through trial and error I found that Accell cables do as well.

With EDID information being exchanged as intended by DisplayPort.org, resolutions/color profiles/refresh rates show up in Windows Settings and OS X Displays Pref Pane properly - without SwitchResX. And, my personal and company Macs run much cooler now. My 2¢ - switch to a DP compliant cable. BTW, all of our displays are 4k displays, 60Hz is showing up in the Displays Pref Pane - no hacks/utilities needed, and the Accell cables are the same price as SwitchResX...