SwitchResX Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jshwon, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

I desperately need help as I've just hooked up my mini to my 42" Sony KDF-42WE55 (no internal tuner) via DVI cable. When I initially hooked it up it defaulted to a resolution of 1200x720 with overscan on. I tuned overscan off and the picture was clear but cropped on the sides. It wasnt ideal as the doc and icons seemed oversized. So I went to the preferences and changed it to 1900x1080i, when I did this the doc and icons were smaller and was at a size more suitable. The problem was that the text in windows were practically unreadable. Also the there was a "stutter" or shaking effect on the windows and graphics. And it was still cropped on the sides.

Using SwitchResX I tweaked a custom resolution and tried to use that but now I get an completely unreadable screen. It looks like scrambled cable. Per instructions on the avsforums I exported the tv's DDC and it shows as follows:

Monitor Description blocks:
    ---------------------------
    Descriptor #0 is Timing definition:
    Mode = 1920 x 540 @ 60Hz
    Pixel Clock.............74.25 MHz Interlaced

Horizontal Vertical
    Active..................1920 pixels 540 lines
    Front Porch............. 88 pixels 2 lines
    Sync Width.............. 44 pixels 5 lines
    Back Porch.............. 148 pixels 15 lines
    Blanking................ 280 pixels 22 lines
    Total...................2200 pixels 562 lines
    Scan Rate............... 33.75 kHz 60.05 Hz

This is my first time using SwitchResX and would really like any guidance you guys can provide. Is there anyone with the same TV that has found ideal settings that you can share?

2. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Looking further into this I think 1080i will not be a useable setting for my TV. Due to the flicker that happens it makes it unwatchable on the desktop. The TV supports 1080i but 720p looks much better. The question is will movies and HD look good at 720p?

3. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Here are some visual examples. When I hooked it up the first time I think it defaulted to 720 and looked similar to this but it was cropped on the sides:

[​IMG]

I would really like the display to look similar to this:

[​IMG]

Both are Sonys but the bottom one is the same screen size as mine 42"