Swithched to Firefox and Flash on iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by skateny, Aug 7, 2012.

1. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Hi.

Nothing earth shattering here. A few months ago I used the published "fix" for tricking Web sites into using Flash. However, Safari has done nothing but become increasingly slower in virtually all tasks: Loading, loading pages, opening new tabs, etc. I would frequently need to use force quit when Safari would just hang there for several minutes at a time.

I use my iBook primarily for reading and writing on various Web sites, email and watching films. It got to the point where I was considering shutting down my iBook (after streamlining Safari) and simply getting something faster. Then I recalled having read someone recommending Firefox and gave it a try. Much faster at all tasks, and no hanging. It does everything I need, and it does them quickly.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I use my iBook g4 very little now, only really for spotify while I cook, great little machine in its day though, and tiger was great too.

3. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

What kind of Firefox browser (Aurora, TenFourFox etc) do you use? I've found most of them to be slower than Camino in every way on all of my PPC macs, which frankly seems a bit odd.

4. skateny thread starter macrumors 6502

skateny

I'm not fluent with Safari version names.

The version number is 3.6.16.

I'm more than happy to try something faster if you'd be so kind as to direct me to a download site.

Thanks.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

6. skateny thread starter macrumors 6502

skateny

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

8. skateny thread starter macrumors 6502

skateny

9. skateny thread starter macrumors 6502

skateny

I downloaded it, but frankly, the Firefox build I'm currently using seems to execute tasks almost instantaneously. If I have problems in the future, I'll give the build you posted a try.

Thanks again.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Don't forget that the version of FireFox you are urgently using is very out of date and insecure.

11. skateny thread starter macrumors 6502

skateny

Thanks again for the info.

I'll install the later version when I get home.

12. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Camino

You may also want to give Camino a spin, its based on Firefox, but is much faster for most tasks on PowerPC macs. Also, Omniweb uses the same webkit engine as Safari, but is more current and frankly much speedier.

Tenfourfox is great, but newer versions don't run well on anything but a speedy dual processor G4 or G5.

Flash is terrible, utterly terrible on PowerPC macs. Block it or avoid it is the best advice you can get around here.

13. skateny thread starter macrumors 6502

skateny

Installed Camino and having great fun with it.

I've never had a problem with Flash. I much prefer HTML5, but several sites I visit to watch films require Flash, so I need to use it, or a "fake Flash" until further notice.

Thanks again.